8th GRADE SPANISH
Tutorial for all Spanish learners: Sra. Duran’s students every Monday 4:00-4:45pm.
Text: Avancemos A & B ( $60 cost to replace book). These books will be used ONLY in class.
· Course Description: Eighth grade Spanish class focuses on the development of communicative competence. Students will develop an understanding of basic written and spoken Spanish. Assessments will be on-going and include tests, quizzes, projects and performance tasks that allow students to demonstrate what they know and can do in Spanish in real life. Students will develop understanding of written and spoken Spanish. Also, students will gain knowledge and understanding of other cultures and will reinforce their knowledge of other disciplines such as geography, history, science and mathematics.
· Eighth Grade Objectives: Developing listening, speaking, reading and writing skills:
1. Direct object pronouns, indirect object pronouns.
2. Preterite tense of regular and irregular verbs,
3. Talk about how to make excuses, said what you did and staying healthy.
4. Technology and series of events,
5. Reflexive verbs and daily routines
6. Imperfect tense, preterite and imperfect.
7. Demonstrate Novice-Mid/High proficiency in oral, written exchanges.
8. Identify the main ideas and some details when reading and listening.
9. Comprehend simple, culturally authentic reading materials; “Los Baker van a Peru”, “La maldicion de la cabeza reducida”, “Casi se muere”
10. Give basic information about self and others using suggested topics.
11. Practice with regular and Irregular verbs, present progressive and preterit
12. Spanish Speaking countries’ culture and geography
13. Affirmative and Negative TÚ, UD. UDS. And nosotros commands
13. Introduction to subjunctive with “Ojalá” using POR and PARA
14. Future tense
You can greatly assist with the student coming to class prepared and organized. You can help your child review for a test, quiz or project, who knows, you might learn some Spanish on the way!! J Acknowledgement of detention, discipline notices and late work will be appreciated.
Assignments will be posted daily at the school’s website.
1. 3-ring notebook with 4 dividers labeled :
v Class work
2. Composition notebook (will be used daily as a diary “en español)
3. Spanish-English dictionary
4. Pens, pencils, erasers, paper
v 30% CLASSWORK/PARTICIPATION
v 25% TESTS
v 10% QUIZZES
v 25% PROJECTS
v 10% HOMEWORK
Grading scale for the
v 90-100 A
v 80-89 B
v 70-79 C
v 69 & below F
*An effective and successful class must be based on four essential aspects: RESPECT, HONESTY, EFFORT, and DISCIPLINE (RHED).
Discipline is a must for the sake of the instruction and that of yourself and your classmates: You are a young adult and should behave as one.
*Tardies: Being on time – and that means SEATED when the bell rings – is of the utmost importance. When you are late, you disrupt the class and miss instruction. You will have one freebie, after that, EVERY UNEXCUSED TARDY will result in ONE DETENTION to be served.
*Homework: There will be homework every single day, either a WRITTEN or a STUDY assignment. If home learning is not done on the due date, the student will have a chance to turn in LATE HOMEWORK for 50% which will be averaged with tests, quizzes, class participation, and other grades to determine the final grade.
*All papers must be legible, written in blue or black ink, and headed in the following manner (in the upper right-hand corner): ** If the student’s name is NOT on the paper, student will receive 5pts. Less .
First Name/ Last name
Date ( in Spanish)
20 de Agosto 2008
***** All other assignments such as class work and projects will adhere to the same criteria as Homework.
TEACHER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY THIS SYLLABUS BASED UPON STUDENTS’ NEEDS.
I have read this syllabus carefully and I am adhering to all the responsibilities and consequences.
Student’s signature:___________________________________ Date:____________
Parent’s signature:____________________________________ Date: ____________