Whitefoord, Toomer & Burgess-Peterson
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Why is APS considering closing Whitefoord Elementary?
As part of the work for students, Atlanta Public Schools has had to strive to improve quality while increasing efficiency. That is why we continue the work to right-size the district to more effectively direct resources toward the students. We also want to deliver the most coherent and effective academic programs possible to our students as well as providing the most complete and essential services we can with limited resources.
To that end, Atlanta Public Schools proposes to close Whitefoord Elementary School and redistrict students to Toomer Elementary and Burgess-Peterson Academy. The district is in discussion about an appropriate new location of the existing care center at Whitefoord to ensure that Whitefoord families can continue to access its services.
2. What is the timeline of these changes?
Pending Atlanta Board of Education approval on March 6, APS will implement these changes beginning in the 2017-2018 school year. Each campus will have a transition plan that is specific to the needs of that school community.
3. When will the closure be official?
The Atlanta Board of Education will consider the recommendation to close Whitefoord Elementary during the March 6 meeting. Pending Atlanta Board of Education and State Department of Education approvals, the change will take effect beginning in the 2017-2018 school year.
4. Where will the students go to school?
With the proposed closing of Whitefoord, Whitefoord students who live in the Edgewood community would attend Toomer Elementary and those in the Reynoldstown community would attend Burgess-Peterson Academy.
5. How will all of the students fit into the Toomer & Burgess-Peterson schools?
Both school facilities have sufficient space to accommodate students from Whitefoord Elementary.
6. How can the stakeholders provide comments on the plan to close Whitefoord Elementary?
Atlanta Public Schools will hold community conversations and public hearings on the future of the consolidated schools. The schedule is as follows:
- Community Meeting – Monday, January 23 @ 6 p.m. at Maynard Jackson High School
- Jackson Cluster Public Hearings –
- Wednesday, February 15 @ 6 p.m. Whitefoord Elementary
- Wednesday, March 1 @ 6 p.m. Benteen Elementary
7. What will happen to the vacant Whitefoord building?
The district is considering suggestions from the community.