Welcome to the Human Resources, Certification Department. The Certification Office is responsible for processing certification documents for new hires and assisting current employees with certification transactions (certificate renewals, conversions, add-ons, upgrades, etc.). We invite you to explore this website to find valuable information and important links to many of your questions. If you have additional questions outside of the information provided, contact your Cluster Certification Specialist.
If you are a prospective employee, we encourage you to visit our “Careers at APS” link located on the Atlanta Public Schools website under the “Quick Links” section to view available positions. To learn more about becoming certified in the state of Georgia, visit the Georgia Professional Standards Commission’s website for information on the different routes to certification.
Things You Should Know:
Ø New Online Application Process
- The Georgia Professional Standards Commission (PSC) has implemented an online application submission process. Therefore, all certification transactions, including endorsement add-ons may be electronically submitted. The educator has the ability to complete an on-line application, the Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP), and the ability scan and upload any supporting documentation (transcripts, I.D., etc.). Once the application has been submitted, the PSC sends a courtesy notification to the Certification Department stating that a transaction has taken place. This allows us to complete an employer assurance form, and any other requests necessary. College transcripts cannot be opened and scanned. They should be mailed directly to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
- Please Note: The only transaction that cannot be submitted through the online process is certificate renewal.
Ø HB 164 Extension of Professional Learning waiver for recertification to 2017
- Teachers will not have to document professional learning for recertification through June 30, 2017. New rules take effect July 1, 2017.
Ø Non-Certified Newly Hired Employees (See also APS Hiring Guide to Certification)
To be eligible for employment, non-certified new hires must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education (2.5 GPA or higher);
- Pass the Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators (GACE) or meet exemption through GRE, SAT, or ACT scores as specified by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission;
- Have evidence of specialized training in the subject(s) taught, such as an academic major or the equivalent in the subject(s) or a passing score on the Georgia Professional Standards Commission’s content assessment for the area/subject;
- Complete the Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment –Program Entry (350) within 30 days of hire date;
- Secure a Georgia Professional Standards Commission Clearance Certificate indicating completion of background check; and
- Complete a year-long Empowering Teachers Program and Induction conducted jointly by APS and the Metropolitan Regional Education Service Agency, which includes:
- Professional Development Coursework and Seminars;
- Clinical Supervision & Support;
- Culminating Assessment; and
- Positive Performance (Observations/Evaluation).
Thanks for visiting our website and have a great day!