Daily Health Checks (Required)
The safety of our staff and students is important to us, especially as we continue to navigate learning and teaching during a global pandemic. That’s why Atlanta Public Schools has partnered with Stratum Health Solutions to secure HealthCheck, an online tool that helps safeguard the health of students via daily wellness check-ins.
Daily health screenings and temperature assessments have been the norm since in-person instruction resumed in 2021. The HealthCheck screener simplifies the process.
Parents of in-person learners are asked to respond to the five daily health screening questions quickly and easily before their student reports to school.
- Has your child had close contact (within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes) in the last 14 days with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, or has any health department or health care provider been in contact with you and advised you to quarantine?
- Has your child had any signs or symptoms of a fever or have taken fever reducing medicine within the past 24 hours or had a temperature that is 100.4F or greater?
- Do you or your child have any of these symptoms? Fever or chills; New cough; Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; Fatigue; New loss of taste or smell; Sore throat; Muscle aches; Congestion or runny nose; Headache; Nausea or vomiting; or Diarrhea?
- Since they were last at school, has your child been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Has your child taken a COVID-19 test and are awaiting results based on mild symptoms or overall feeling unwell?
Based on responses, the tool will advise whether the child can attend school.
**For more information on daily health checks please visit the APS website here. **
COVID-19 Testing Strategy
In an effort to mitigate COVID-19 in our schools and community, Atlanta Public Schools (APS) has adopted a Comprehensive COVID-19 Testing Strategy in collaboration with public health officials, community partners, universities, and healthcare organizations.
This strategy works with our school-based health clinics and community resources to provide testing for the following groups:
- Students, teachers, and staff with symptoms identified through the health screening protocols
- Students, teachers, and staff who have had contact with someone with COVID-19 in the school or workplace
- All students, faculty, and staff with possible exposure in the context of outbreak settings
- PLUS surveillance testing for individuals who are asymptomatic.
COVID-19 Surveillance Testing
Atlanta Public Schools (APS) is continuing its effort to keep everyone in our schools and buildings safe by making COVID-19 Surveillance Testing available to all students and staff. COVID-19 Surveillance Testing is a non-diagnostic test that detects the presence of COVID-19 even in individuals who may be asymptomatic. The benefits of surveillance testing include allowing APS to test, receive test results (within 24 hours) and notify individuals of a clinically significant reading before coming to school or work.
While participation in surveillance testing is not required for students, it will be strongly encouraged. The success of this mitigation strategy, and the District’s ability to return and keep students in school, is based on high levels of staff and student participation. APS is exploring all options as it relates to the administration of surveillance testing for staff and will be providing staff training, information sessions, and other staff engagement opportunities as part of this process. Learn more by reviewing our frequently asked questions.
Upcoming Surveillance Testing Dates: Every Friday (Tentative).
Below you will find a copy of the Student Consent Form AND Notice of Private Policy for COVID Testing for the Surveillance Testing in both English & Spanish.
***In light of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we recommend checking the World Health Organization's website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.***
For more extended information on our COVID testing strategies, visit the Atlanta Public Schools website on COVID testing .