Our school is preparing to take part in the FITNESSGRAM physical fitness assessment. As a result of Georgia House Bill 229 (a.k.a. the SHAPE Act) students will be participating in this assessment. FITNESSGRAM was selected by the Georgia Department of Education to be administered because it will measure the 5 areas of health-related fitness:
- PACER or 1 mile run(Cardiovascular Endurance)
- Back-Saver Sit and Reach (Flexibility)
- Push-Up (Upper Body Strength)
- Curl-Up (Abdominal Strength/Endurance)
- Body Mass Index (Body Composition)
The FITNESSGRAM does not compare your student to anyone else, nor does it measure skill or athletic performance. All scores are confidential and will not be used in determining their 9-week grade.
Rather, it compares your student to health standards that have been established by researchers as the level of fitness all students should reach in order to attain health benefits.
After your son/daughter has completed the FITNESSGRAM, you will receive a student report that includes the following:
- Brief explanation of each fitness test
- Details on the importance of each assessment
- The students actual scores and the Health Fitness Zone (HFZ) for the child’s age and gender
- An explanation of the HFZ and the student report
- We are very excited about participating in the FITNESSGRAM. Thank you for your support and we look forward to any questions you may have.
Additional information on the validity, questions, or reliability of all the FITNESSGRAM tests can be found at www.fitnessgram.net.
Physical Education Department