Department of Health and Physical Education COVID Safety Guidelines
Effective March 1, 2022, Atlanta Public Schools (APS) will implement changes to our COVID-19 mitigation strategies for athletics and extracurricular activities, including:
- Moving to a mask-optional policy in all of our buildings for all faculty, staff, students, and visitors
Guidance for Acclimatization and Practice with Minimal to No Restrictions/ Athletics
- Use of locker rooms or shower facilities is acceptable with the following guidance.
- Facilities and all equipment should be sanitized after each class.
- Physical distancing should be practiced. If needed, groups should dress in stages. (Preferably twenty-five per group)
- Students shall not congregate in the locker room and indoor facilities. The locker room will be monitored by designated personnel to ensure compliance with this requirement.
- Weight equipment will be cleaned prior to each workout and sanitized between uses by each student.
- Hand sanitizer will be plentiful and readily available.
- Physical distancing must be adhered to as a safety net (6ft for all adults and 3ft between students).
The following research and guidance was utilized to develop these guidelines:
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Myss Jelks, K-12 Health and Physical Education Coordinator, at 404-802-7535. Thank you for your continued support.