Bus routes are available here, on the APS website. All bus procedures and routes are handled by APS, not by the school.
Updated September 15, 2017: "The transportation department of Atlanta Public Schools in accordance with APS policy will no longer allow bus changes or passes to ride another bus. Bus transportation is provided only to and from the bus stop of the residence on file with APS. Please do not send any notes requesting your child to ride another bus as we will not be able to approve the change."
Bus Delay Procedures
Parents who are unable to contact the school should call APS Transportation at 404-802-5500. The dispatcher and bus driver will be radioed to determine the status of the bus route. Please note that during the first few weeks of school bus schedules are subject to change as routes are being fine tuned.
CARPOOL / CAR RIDERS
At close to 1,600 students on two campuses, Sutton Middle School is one of the largest schools in Atlanta Public Schools. Student safety and security is our number one priority and we believe the best method for your student to come to and from school, if he or she is not within walking distance to Sutton, is by using our school busses. However, we realize there may be days and circumstances where it is necessary for your child to be a car rider.
Please adhere to all of the following when dropping off and picking up your child:
- Anticipate a long car rider line and expect the process to take time. This is especially true in the beginning of the school year. During the first month of school it is not unusual for a wait in our car pool line to exceed 30 minutes. Please plan accordingly as we do not permit any circumventing of the car rider process.
- Car riders are dismissed daily AFTER first round busses. This is anticipated to be between 4:10 PM and 4:15 PM, as our school day concludes at 4:05 PM.
- Students are not permitted early check out for the sole purpose of avoiding the car rider process.
- When the car rider lane is active, please do not use your cell phone for the safety of our students and staff.
- All drivers are expected to follow the signals of staff directing traffic.
- Please familiarize yourself with the drop off and pick up locations for both campuses. No students are permitted to be dropped off or picked up in any area other than the designated location.
- Parents are not permitted to park on campus or nearby and have their student walk to meet them. Staff will not permit your student to walk through parking lots to meet you as this compromises the safety of our students.
- Transportation changes are generally not permitted during the school day. If an emergency warrants a change, the school will need to be notified by 3:00 PM.
- Students may not be dropped off before 8:45 AM unless they are involved in a specific staff supervised activity. Students must be off campus 30 minutes after dismissal unless they are involved in a supervised activity.
In order to control the flow of traffic and to keep our students safe, please review and follow these carpool maps. There are two maps, one for the Northside Drive campus and one for the 6th Grade campus.
- Sixth Grade Campus (Powers Ferry) Carpool Map - Carpool takes place in front of the school, enter the campus from Jett Road.
- Seventh and Eighth Grade Campus (Northside) Carpool Map - Carpool takes place in the LOWER Kingswood parking lot near the football field, entering the Sutton campus from Kingswood Lane via Normandy Drive.
- Morning carpool begins at 8:45 AM. Students will be tardy after 9:15 am
- Afternoon carpool runs from after the dismissal of first-round buses, typically between 4:10 PM and 4:15 PM.
- Cell phones are prohibited during carpool.
- Please do not block any driveways in the neighborhood while waiting to enter the school lot.
- Please do not enter the Seventh and Eighth Grade Campus carpool from Northside Drive. There is no left turn into the school for carpool. .
- Use your turn signals to inform the officer of your intentions when leaving the school lot.
- Encourage your child to look for your car at the end of the day.