Chicken Coop Club
In Spring 2018, Morningisde Elementary School staff and families came together on the MLK Day of Service to build a Chicken Coop in the MES Courtyard Garden. This project could not have happened if it weren't for the hours of hard work and many generous monetary donations from students, families and staff. With the arrival of our four young hens in March 2018 the students were ecstatic to see how the teachers and staff were going to continue to work the chickens and eggs into their science, math, art, music and Green Classroom curriculums.Students will visit the Chicken Coop as a class, as well as see the chickens when they walk past the Chicken Coop in the Courtyard Garden on their way to specials, lunch or the library.
How can I help in the Chicken Coop?
- Safety: Four fully vaccinated pullets (young hens) were delivered from a reputable hatchery. Safety protocols are in place to ensure a clean, safe coop. As part of this protocol, we are asking for donations of gently loved rain boots for anyone entering the coop area to change into. Drop off boots in the main office.
- Volunteers: Become a 'Fowl Friend' and volunteer in the Chicken Coop. SignUp Genius will be available soon.
- Food Donations: City Chick is partnering with us on this endeavor and offering free shipping of chicken feed to MES if you would like donate a bag of New Country Organics "Grower" feed, 50 pound bag-$38.50. We are also looking for donations to purchase seating for the coop.
- Seating Donations:We are also looking for donations to purchase seating for the coop. Click here to donate.
- Amazon Wish List: Visit our Amazon WishList for other donation opportunities.
Thank you for your continued support of new learning opportunities for our MES students!
Questions: Holly Brookins, Assistant Principal