Our new school has a very interesting and relevant history that we are honored to lift up and celebrate. David T. Howard was a former slave who became a successful Atlanta business owner and the founder of the city's first African American owned bank. Mr. Howard was a noted philanthropist and supporter of education. One of his many donations was the 7.5 acre campus that became the location for an elementary school that was named after him.
One of our inspirational alumni, Martin Luther King Jr., attended the school from 1936 until 1940. Howard became a high school in 1948 and closed in 1976. For over 40 years, the building sat empty while the neighborhoods around the school were growing.
At the end of 2016, APS announced that the abandoned school would be revived and renovated as the future location of Inman Middle School, meeting the demand of our cluster's growing population. For the past 2 years, we have followed along as the school was transformed into the amazing facility that exists today. In early 2020, the school and community voted to honor the school's historical name, and the David T. Howard Middle School replaced Inman, serving grades 6-8. in the Grady Cluster. This transition will honor the important past of the school and will create new legacies in support of each of our students. Throughout the year we will continue to share its story and the stories of the students who came before us. Here are a few to get you started.
The complete journey and all updates from this impressive project are located here.
- Historic Howard reopening combines history with a look to the future
- Howard Middle Bringing Change to O4W
- History Being Reborn
- In O4W, Redo of MLK Jr's School Barreling Ahead