School Support Model
We used CCRPI (Georgia Milestones) data to determine which schools will most benefit from specialized support. Schools that scored below 60 on the CCRPI scale for three consecutive years were identified to receive support through the school turnaround initiative.
Currently, we provide all APS schools with robust foundational support, while six receive next-level intensive support and fifteen are provided with an additional layer of targeted interventions above and beyond that.
Continue reading to learn about our tiers of support and to see which schools are getting the extra needed attention.
We lay strong instructional foundation for all schools.
- Provide a district-wide instructional framework and consistent theory of action
- Implement a district-wide balanced assessment to support instruction
- Improve quality and consistency of all teacher and leader professional learning
- Develop and engage stakeholders through a comprehensive parent and alumni engagement strategy
Young, Miles, Peyton Forest, Dunbar, Douglass, Continental Colony
In addition to the foundational support strategies above, we build leader and teacher capacity and provide focused attention on literacy and math skills for our students.
- Provide additional professional learning opportunities for teachers and leaders
- Recruit and place strong turnaround leaders
- Accelerate and strengthen wraparounds to support non-academic needs
- Resource-efficient stratgies to reinforce literacy and math skills
Boyd, Woodson Park, Barack and Michelle Obama Elementary, Finch, FL Stanton, Fain, Kimberly, Scott, Perkerson, Towns, Usher-Collier, Tuskegee Airmen Global Academy, Hollis Innovation Academy
We further supplement the strategies above with increased time and focus spent on foundational skills and on deepening the capacity of our teachers and leaders.
- A menu of options for schools to deliver intensive, high quality student learning time: reading and math specialists, high dosage tutoring, and /or vacation academies
- Invest in capacity-building opportunities for teachers and leaders
- Recruit and place proven turnaround leaders for selected schools, as appropriate
- Consider operating model changes, as appropriate, for schools that need additional resources, expertise or support