Parkside-Thomasville Rezoning Details
Details about school enrollment for 2010-11 for students in the rezoned area:
- Students who live south of Custer Avenue are now assigned to Thomasville Heights Elementary School.
- Students currently attending Parkside Elementary may remain through the fifth grade, if they so choose. Transportation will not be provided.
- Thomasville Heights Elementary School will become a Project GRAD school.
- Rising sixth-grade students who live south of Custer Avenue will attend Price Middle School.
- Students who reside in this area currently attending King Middle School may enroll at Price, if they choose. Transportation will continue to be provided for students who remain at King. Transportation will be provided for students who choose to attend Price.
- The New Schools at Carver will be the zoned high school.
- Rising ninth-grade students in the rezoned area will attend the New Schools at Carver.
- Students who reside in this area currently attending Maynard Jackson High School will remain at Jackson due to the challenges of moving from one academic program to another in the themed schools.
- Families may apply for a general administrative transfer for their students to attend Jackson or Carver if space is available, and the Office of Student Placement will work with families that may be assigned to different schools on a case-by-case basis. No transportation is provided for students on general administrative transfers.
Impact (assuming that all students are promoted):
- Approximately 74 students in grades K through 5. Based on the current enrollment and the proposed change, Thomasville Heights Elementary School will have an approximate enrollment of 394, less currently enrolled students who elect to remain at Parkside. The planning capacity for Thomasville is 738.
- There are 21 5th grade students living in the rezoned area at Parkside who will be 6th graders at Price next year. There are 28 sixth and seventh grade students attending King Middle from this area who may elect to go to Price next year.
- There are 11 students at King who will be 9th graders entering Carver next year. There are 19 current students who will continue attending Maynard Jackson High School from this area. According to the data in Infinite Campus, none of these students currently has middle-school-aged siblings at King Middle who would be assigned to Carver prior to the older sibling’s graduation from Maynard Jackson.
You can download a PDF version of this document here.