Phase I Reopening: High / Substantial Spread
DISTANCE LEARNING MODEL (Virtual Instruction)
APS will implement a virtual instruction model for students where they remain enrolled at and receive instruction from teachers at their school. While similar to last spring, the model offers key improvements focused on greater connections, engagement and best practices for distance learning:
- Instructional delivery will include such strategies as live, virtual instruction, interactive videos and independent work.
- Parents may opt to enroll in the Atlanta Virtual Academy if that is their preference. Students would receive instruction from AVA teachers, not their home school teachers
- Prioritized content from SY20 (esp. last 9 weeks) and integrating them within the SY21 scope and sequence documents
- Implement a set of instructional engagement tools and a content management system to monitor student participation and performance.
- Daily instructional schedules will be provided including teacher office hours
- Focus on learning practices and key strategies that cut across all content areas and programs
* This option will also available for implementation throughout the school year if individual schools or the district elects to close due to a COVID-19 outbreak.
Key Dates Interaction Key Activities
August 3 - 7, 2020
August 10 - 14, 2020
Mostly Virtual, some in person activities may be needed in small or limited groups for staff.
Focus on planning for virtual model:
- Connect with Families
- Team Building
- Teacher Planning
- Teacher Professional Development
- Safety + Yearly Planning
RUNWAY FOR RETURN TO LEARNING
August 17 - 21, 2020
Mostly Virtual, some in person activities may be needed in small or limited groups for parents to pick up needed supplies and materials for the 9 week period.
Focus on Student Wellness + Preparation:
- Assess Student Learning
- Social Emotional Learning Support
- Health+Wellness Checks
- Student Supply Distribution
- Emergency Contact Information Submissions
DAY 1: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
August 24, 2020
Distance Learning (Virtual) for all students for at least the first 9 weeks of school, or until we have entered minimal / moderate spread.
Focus on Student Learning and A Strong Start:
- Students Engage with Curriculum
- Additional Student Assessments
- Get to Know You Activities
- Learning Expectations
See below for more information about individual areas of interest.