Welcome to the Department of Special Education. The Atlanta Public Schools’ special education programs are founded on the belief that students with disabilities will receive a quality education that will lead to meaningful academic, social, emotional and behavioral outcomes for our students.
The Atlanta Public Schools' Department of Special Education offers a broad continuum of services for students three (3) through twenty-one (21) years of age. Following a comprehensive assessment that may include a psychological evaluation, educational testing, speech-language assessment, audiological testing and other assessments, a student may be eligible to receive services in one or more of the following categories:
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing (D/HH)
- Emotional/Behavioral Disorders
- Intellectual Disabilities (Mild, Moderate, Severe/Profound)
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Significant Developmental Delay
- Specific Learning Disability
- Speech-Language Impairment
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Visually Impairment & Blindness
- Preschool Special Education
We are looking forward to building positive relationships through effective communication with all stakeholders. We look forward to partnering with you as we work together to ensure that all children with disabilities achieve and that they are provided a continuum of appropriate, specialized services and supports.