Proof of Residency required to submit an application:

    1. Lease/Mortgage Statement

    2. Georgia Power Bill (within past 30 days)

    3. Photo ID


    Important Notice: APS is piloting a new school choice application provided by Scribbles, Inc. All parents will need to first create a Family Enrollment Account prior to submitting an application(s). You will know your application has been submitted ONLY AFTER you have received an Order Number. Please contact Student Assignment at 404-802-2233 or visit the APS Center for Learning & Leadership located at 130 Trinity Avenue in Downtown Atlanta if you need assistance completing an application. Once you have an account created, you will be able to check the status of your application at any time and can also elect to receive phone calls, text messages, and emails when the application status changes.


N. Atlanta High School  |  Atlanta Public Schools

Student Transfer Options

  • Atlanta Public Schools (APS) and the state of Georgia supports the concept of neighborhood schools and community involvement. During the 2012-2013 school year, APS began operating according to a cluster model. APS uses the cluster model to build alignment and collaboration across schools that feed into a neighborhood high school. All students will have access to music, arts, foreign language and core academic programs that are high quality and well-coordinated from kindergarten through Grade 12. 

    APS allows families (residents and non-residents) to transfer to an APS school using one of three transfer varieties: School Choice, Children of APS Employees and Hardship Transfers.

    Georgia’s Public School Choice Law (Intradistrict Transfer), allows city of Atlanta residents the option to apply to attend a public school outside of their zoned school area, if space is available. (O.C.G.A. § 20-2-2131 also known as House Bill 251). 

    School Choice Transfers

    Residents interested in attending an APS school, but live outside of the city of Atlanta, may attend if space is available, and pay non-resident tuition. For current non-resident tuition rates, contact the APS Office of Student Assignment and Records, send an email to studentassignment@atlanta.k12.ga.us or call 404-802-2233.

    APS offers two types of School Choice transfers:

    1. General Administrative Transfers – permits students to attend an out-of-zone school until the highest grade of school.
    2. Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Transfers – permits eligible special education students to request a transfer to another APS school on the basis of special needs.

    Learn More About School Choice Transfers
    • School Choice applications available March 11; applications accepted March 11 - March 29, 2019



    Children of Employees

    APS board policy and regulation offers children of full-time APS employees (custodial parents or legal guardians with whom a child lives) the choice of attending an APS school. Temporary (including part-time) and substitute employees are not eligible. Out-of-district tuition is waived for full-time employees residing outside of the city of Atlanta.

    APS offers two types of transfer options for children of employees:

    1. General Administrative Transfers – permits students to attend an out-of-zone school until the highest grade of the school.
      1. Full-time employees (non-residents of the city of Atlanta) who are not requesting a transfer for their child to attend school at their worksite, are required to apply through the general administrative transfer process. 
      2. APS employees (1) who are transferring their child into APS after the transfer application window, (2) who are newly employed by the district, or (3) who are enrolling their students after the beginning of the new school year are eligible to request a general administrative transfer to any school that had unfilled spaces at the conclusion of the random lottery.
    2. Students of Employees Worksite Transfers – permits full-time employees assigned to a school worksite to apply for their child to attend school at the same worksite.


    Learn More About Transfers for Children of Employees
    • Frequently Asked Questions
    • To apply for an Employee Worksite Transfer, click here to log-in to the employee portal
    • Review the eligibility steps and required documentation for a worksite transfer



    Hardship Transfers

    Hardship transfer applications are accepted annually each June. Applications received after the annual application window, will be accepted on a case-by-case basis. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.

    Hardship transfers are permitted based on definitions described in the board policy manual; a few of these scenarios are listed below. For more information, visit the Atlanta Board of Education policy, Student Assignment to Schools – Student Transfers, JBCCA-R(2) Board Policy Manual §1.4.

    Hardship transfers may be granted due to:

    • Death of parent or legal guardian
    • Military parent deployment
    • Services unavailable at zoned school
    • Court order
    • Medical reasons
    • Curriculum continuity
    • Other

    Grievances arising from parent-school conflicts, discipline and/or attendance problems, and general dissatisfaction with a school are not considered hardships. Parents experiencing these situations should refer to the Parent/Guardian Concerns, Complaints, & Issues protocol found in the APS Student Handbook

    Parents also have the right to request a transfer to another school during the annual School Choice application window.

    For more information about applying outside of the Hardship window for the 2018-19 SY, please contact or visit the Department of Student Assignment.

    Learn More About Hardship Transfers
    • Applications for the 2019-20 SY will be accepted from May 15, 2019 - June 7, 2019