SUPERVISOR'S SUCCESS GUIDE: OVERVIEW
Human capital management is defined as a strategic and coherent approach to management of an organization’s human resources – its people. It is critical that those who supervise employees possess resources, knowledge and skills that support the development of staff and their productivity, in alignment with the goals of the organization. Supervisors must be able to express vision, expectations, and goals in such a way as to be understood and embraced by staff, and they must be able to garner resources needed by staff to successfully accomplish their responsibilities.
The Supervisors’ Success Guide, prepared by the Office of Internal Resolution/Employee Relations (OIR/ER), is a human capital management resource for Atlanta Public Schools (APS) supervisors. The guide presents the rules, regulations, practices and procedures related to effective documentation of employee performance. Supervisors should frequently review the guide to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
This guide addresses the supervision of APS employees, and is subject to changes in applicable statutes, policies, regulations, and procedures. Additional sources that support supervisory practices are:
• Atlanta Board of Education’s Online Board Policy Manual (www.atlanta.k12.ga.us)
• Georgia Department of Education (www.doe.k12.ga.us)
• Georgia Department of Labor (www.dol.state.ga.us)
• Georgia Professional Standards Commission (www.gapsc.com)
• Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (www.eeoc.gov)
• Office of Civil Rights (www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr)
Office of Internal Resolution/Employee Relations • 130 Trinity Avenue, SW, 3rd Floor • Atlanta, Georgia 30303