Sylvan Middle is committed to empowering students with the confidence, social skills and intellectual capacity required to successfully thrive and compete in academia and in the global marketplace.
Our children represent our hopes and dreams for the future, and they deserve the best education we can give them. We believe every student has the potential to succeed, and we are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our children, by encouraging them to open their minds to learning, discovery and achievement.
Sylvan Middle has a Safety Plan that is regularly practiced with our students. Below, are some of the details that APS has approved for distribution, which we would like to share:
- All training and emergency guidelines are in compliance with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA)
- All schools are required to send personnel to Safety Coordinators training yearly.
- Safety plans are reviewed and approved by Atlanta Public Schools Safety and Security Department, the Atlanta Fire Department, and Atlanta Police Department Detectives Unit.
- Monthly emergency drills include the seven types - Bomb, Intruder, Tornado, Fire, Bus Evacuation, AED, and Earthquake.
- All Fire Drills are monitored by the Atlanta Fire Department.
- Every school has staff on hand trained in CPR / AED and First Aid.
- Police and Security have direct access to APS Close Circuit Television at each school.
- APS has 24 hour Emergency Communicatiions Center with 911.
If there is an emergency whereby we must leave or evacuate the school there is a procedure in place. If this happens, Sylvan will work in conjunction with Atlanta Public Schools to notify parents via a robo-call and / or local emergency officers. Carver HS is our Reunificaiton site.
Much of the Sylvan Safety Plan cannot be shared for security purposes. If you have any further questions please contact the school administration.