Students are expected to dress in a manner that is consistent with the basic educational mission of the Atlanta Public Schools and to avoid disruption of the instructional process, violation of health and safety standards, and offence of common standards of decency. Students dress shall meet the following minimum requirements:
• Clothing, hairstyles, and jewelry must not be distracting, cause a disruption, or constitute a health or safety hazard.
• Clothing, including spirit wear, must be modest and of appropriate length and fit. Extremely tight clothing or baggy, oversized clothing is not permitted.
• Clothing and/or jewelry must not contain words or symbols that are gang-related, offensive, insulting, embarrassing, sexually suggestive, obscene, or promote illegal behavior.
• Clothing and/or jewelry must not contain any advertisement or display of wordso r symbols associated with alcohol, illegal drugs, or tobacco.
• Appropriate undergarments must be worn at all times and must not be visible.
• Caps, hats, head wraps, bandanas, hoods, or other head coverings must not be worn in the school building during the school day unless there is a special activity where they are deemed appropriate by the school principal.