- Morningside Elementary School
- Kindergarten Center Updates
K Center Update 8-8-19
Posted by Holly Brookins on 8/7/2019 2:00:00 PM
We are on the countdown to Day One! It is going to be such an amazing year. We have an awesome team here at the K Center and we are so excited to welcome your family!
- We are looking forward to seeing you at our Meet Your Teacher event on Friday, August 9th. You can drop off school supplies at that time if you have them and the kits will be delivered to the classrooms if you ordered (with the exception of the cleaning products).
Here is the schedule for K Center and for Main Campus, if you have older kids! Please respect others and adhere to your scheduled time as much as possible - this will help us to keep things running smoothly.
- MES Kindergarteners:See visit schedule below based on student's last name.
- Time to Visit Class:
- A - H: 7:30 - 8:05am
- I - P: 8:15 - 8:50am
- Q - Z: 8:55 - 9:30am
- Location: MES Kindergarten Center (Atlanta Metropolitan Cathedral) 999 Briarcliff Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306
- Time to Visit Class:
- MES Grades 1-5 : 9:30 - 11:30am
- Location: MES Main Campus 1053 E Rock Springs Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306
- Kindergarten Student Information 2019-2020 - Once you have received your letter with teacher placement info (they were mailed Monday afternoon!), please fill out our Google form with important information! We will have Chromebooks set up in our Multi-Purpose room upstairs during Meet Your Teacher, if you prefer to fill it out then.
The form also asks for dismissal info and will send you an email with your responses, in case you forget what you marked! I will close the form out after Meet Your Teacher. If you are not able to fill out the form for any reason, please ensure that you send a note with your child so we know how they will be dismissed. Remember, our kids thrive on routine! Please try to keep your dismissal as uniform as possible to allow your kids to learn their routine!
Kindergarten Student Information Form 2019-2020:
- Bus Info - If your child will be a bus rider, be sure to stop by our Transportation table in the Multi-purpose room during Meet Your Teacher so you can sign up for the Bus Remind list to be kept informed of any pertinent bus information!
- You can locate your bus stop here
- If you have a child with an allergy or a medical need that requires a plan or medication, please check in with Nurse Vicky. We must have this packet filled out by your physician to administer medication or to have a medical plan in place. If you have questions, email Nurse Vicky at firstname.lastname@example.org. The medical packet can be found here.
- Don’t forget to RSVP to the Kinder Mixer hosted by our fabulous MES Foundation on Thursday August 22, 2019 from 6 to 8pm at The Family Dog (1402 N Highland Ave). It will be a great opportunity to meet parents of fellow Kindergarten students and make new friends! RSVP here: https://tinyurl.com/yxnxtpdv
- Arrival and Dismissal will likely take a bit longer on the first few days. Please remain calm and patient and everything will settle quickly into a routine!
- Upcoming Events/Meetings - Below are some upcoming events that may be of interest to our K families. The MES Calendar is updated regularly and always available on the MES website.
- Please join us for Coffee and Kleenex on the first day after drop-off in the Multi-Purpose room at the K Center!
- We would love to see you at the Principle’s Coffee at the K Center on Tuesday, August 20 at 8am (there is also one on Friday, August 23 at the Main Campus if that works better for your schedule. All parents are invited to either location!). It is a great time to meet Principal Sofianos, get the latest updates from her, and ask any questions. These are informal meetings that we host throughout the year.
- The PTA would love to see all our K families at the first general PTA Meeting on Wednesday, August 21 at 6:30pm in the Main Campus Auditorium, where they will be discussing the PTA’s main initiatives for the year and presenting the 2019/2020 PTA budget for approval. You can learn more about the PTA on the MES website and can join online here.
- The “A to Z Index” section of the MES website is a GREAT resource. It is accessible from the main navigation at the top of the homepage. This is an alphabetical index of just about everything you can think of related to our school. If you have a question, it is a great place to start.
FUN FACT: Birthdays at School
Wondering how we celebrate birthdays at Morningside? Here is some information for you from our website! This is great information that will help us all to be on the same page.
BIRTHDAYS AT SCHOOL
- School Wellness Policy
Morningside Elementary School and its PTA will not use food or beverages as rewards or incentives for academic performance, good behavior, or goal attainment. As an alternative, teachers shall use physical activity, special event coupons, pencils, erasers, stickers, or small prizes as rewards and incentives for academic performance or good behavior.
Morningside Elementary School recognizes that birthdays are a special day for our students. We must also ensure that parties and celebrations do not disrupt the instructional day or interfere with the health and safety of all students. Birthdays occurring on weekends are recognized the following Monday. Summer birthdays are recognized before the end of the school year.
- Eat lunch with your child: Parents are encouraged to sign-in at the main office and eat lunch with their child on his/her birthday. Parents, visitors, staff, and students are prohibited from distributing cupcakes, donuts, treats, goody bags, or gifts to other students.
- Birthday Bulletin Board: Pictures of students may be displayed on the Birthday Bulletin Board during a student's birthday month. Send in a picture of your child during their birthday month.
- Birthday Announcements & Table: Every child's name is called during the morning announcements to celebrate the birthday. Children are invited to visit the birthday table outside the office to receive their birthday pencil, sticker and ribbon.
Reminder: Please do not send birthday party invitations to school.
As always, feel free to reach out with any questions- we are always here to help! Can’t wait to see you soon!