Adamsville Primary & Miles Intermediate
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Why is APS consolidating Adamsville Primary and Miles Intermediate Schools?
As part of the work for students, Atlanta Public Schools has had to strive to improve quality while increasing efficiency. That is why we continue the work to right-size the district to more effectively direct resources toward the students. We also want to deliver the most coherent and effective academic programs possible to our students as well as providing the most complete and essential services we can with limited resources. To that end, Atlanta Public Schools proposes to close Adamsville Primary School and restructure Miles Intermediate as a PreK-5 school. To balance elementary enrollment in the Mays Cluster, some students would be redistricted for West Manor Elementary.
2. What is the timeline of these changes?
Pending Atlanta Board of Education approval on March 6, APS will implement these changes beginning in the 2017-2018 school year. Each campus will have a transition plan that is specific to the needs of that school community.
3. Who will be the school principal?
The district is excited to announce Thalise Perry, current principal of Miles and an experienced APS administrator with a strong track record of performance, will serve as principal of the new school.
4. When will the consolidations be official?
The Atlanta Board of Education will consider the recommendation to merge the schools during the March 6 meeting. Pending Atlanta Board of Education and State Department of Education approvals, the change will take effect beginning in the 2017-2018 school year.
5. Where will the students go to school?
Students will attend school on the Miles campus while some students would be redistricted for West Manor Elementary.
6. What will the new attendance boundaries be?
As part of the proposed merger, students residing within the blue area east of I-285 would begin attending West Manor ES for 2017-2018. This area, encircled by Scott Street, includes Towne West Manor and London Town Houses. Please see the attached maps.
7. How will all of the students fit into one consolidated school?
Both schools are significantly under-enrolled and under-utilized. The Miles facility has sufficient space to accommodate students from both schools.
8. How can the stakeholders provide comments on the plan to consolidate the schools?
Atlanta Public Schools will hold community conversations and public hearings on the future of the consolidated schools. The schedule is as follows:
- Community Meeting – Thursday, January 26 @ 6 p.m. at Mays High School
- Mays Cluster Public Hearings –
- Wednesday, February 1 @ 6 p.m. Adamsville Primary
- Thursday, February 23 @ 6 p.m. Miles Intermediate
9. What will happen to the name of the schools?
Should a new school be approved, the chair of the Atlanta Board of Education will appoint a committee led by one or both of the district’s representative on the board along with a select group of school staff members, parents and other community members.
10. What will happen to the vacant Adamsville Primary building?
The district is considering suggestions from the community.