How to get your Driver’s Permit
Once you turn 15 years old, you are able to apply for your Driver Learner’s Permit. With a learner’s permit, an adult over 21 years must be in the passenger seat next to you at all times while you are driving.
Steps to get your Learner’s Permit:
1. Request Certificate of Enrollment from School Administrator.
2. Study for the Road Signs and Road Rules test. All information necessary to pass the test is in the Driver's Manual, available online at https://dds.georgia.gov/tes
3. Take the practice test: https://online.dds.ga.gov/ddsgeorgiagov/practicetest/index.aspx
4. Complete the Online Permit Form. https://dds.drives.ga.gov/_/
5. Save the confirmation email; you will need to show it.
6. Gather your REAL ID Documents.
7. Go to the closest DDS location - there is one in the South DeKalb Mall. No appointment is required for the Driver’s Learner’s Permit test. They stop Permit testing at 5:30 pm.
8. Present your REAL ID documents, the confirmation of your online application, verification of school enrollment.
9. Applicants under age 18 must bring a Parent/Guardian, Responsible Adult, or Authorized Driver Training Instructor with them to sign the License/ID/Permit Form. The Responsible Adult must provide paperwork to show their relationship.
10. The parent/guardian/adult must present their ID.
11. The adult listed on your proof of residency must be with you.
12. Take the 2-part test. If you pass, you will then pay $10.00 and have your photo taken. You may need to take a vision test.
13. You will get a temporary ID to keep until your official Permit arrives in the mail in about 45 days.