• Certificate of Enrollment for Driver's License

    & Learner's Permit 

    It is required that students obtain a Certificate of School Enrollment when receiving a learner’s permit, and obtain another Certificate of School Enrollment when receiving a driver’s license.
  •   Who Can Apply?

    When a student ages 15-18 submits an application for a Georgia driver’s license or instruction permit, the applicant must present proof that he or she satisfies one of the following conditions as specified in O.C.G.A. § 40-5-22 (a.1):

    • Is enrolled in and not under expulsion from a public or private school
    • Is enrolled in a home education program that satisfies the reporting requirements of all state laws governing such program
    • Has received a high school diploma, a general educational development (GED) diploma, a special diploma, or a certificate of high school completion
    • Has terminated his or her secondary education and is enrolled in a post secondary school or is pursuing a general educational development (GED) diploma.

    INELIGIBLE STUDENTS: Certificate of School Enrollment are not issued to students who have graduated from high school, have earned a GED, or are enrolled in college or post secondary school. Such students must furnish acceptable proof of their status to the Department of Driver Services.

  •   Where Can I Obtain a Certificate of Enrollment?

    DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR: The student should contact his/her local school to obtain a Certificate of Enrollment. Students should submit their request for a Certificate of Enrollment at least two weeks prior to the date needed. For additional information, contact your local school office.

    HOME SCHOOLED STUDENTS: The Georgia Department of Education is responsible for certifying that students enrolled in home study programs satisfy the attendance requirements.

    Visit the GDOE Homeschool Page - Rules and Procedures for Home School 

    DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS: During the regular school year, the Certificate of School Enrollment is good for 30 days after the date it is notarized. During the summer months of June, July, and August, when most schools are not in session, the Department of Driver Services will accept Certificates of School Enrollment that are dated near the end of the school year (late May or early June).

    From May 30 - August 15 of each year, Certificates of Enrollment are issued by the Department of Student Assignment & Records; 130 Trinity Avenue – 2nd Floor, Atlanta, Georgia 30303 (404-802-2233).

    COVID-19 UPDATE: The Georgia Department of Driver Services will now accept other items to prove school enrollment. Please review the easier options to prove school enrollment below from the DDS website:  

    How do I prove school enrollment?
    • Below is a list of items we will accept during COVID-19 school closures:
      • A Georgia DDS  Certificate of School Enrollment (DS-1)  may be signed from the applicant’s school and dated within the past six (6) months;  
      • Transcript provided by the customer's most recent school of attendance (Transcript does not have to be certified); Transcripts can be printed online in most school districts. Are you a current APS student and need a transcript? Click HERE to submit a transcript request to the APS Central Records Center. 
      • Current progress or grade report with the customer’s name on it. Progress reports and report cards can be printed online in most school districts. 
      • Current school ID issued by the school or school system.
      • Other forms of school identification, showing the customer's first and last name.


  •   Is There a Fee?

    There is a $5.00 fee for all Certificates of Enrollment.