Certificate of Enrollment for Driver's LicenseThe Teenage and Adult Driver Responsibility Act requires that schools must verify that students between the ages of 15 -18 are currently enrolled in school to be eligible Georgia driver’s permit or license. It is required that students obtain a Certificate of School Enrollment when receiving a learner’s permit, and obtain another Certificate of School Enrollment when receiving a driver’s license.
The Teenage and Adult Driver Responsibility Act applies to all minors who are at least 15 years of age and under the age of 18. Schools are required to will verify that a student is ENROLLED IN and NOT UNDER EXPULSION from a public school. Attendance data will no longer be used to determine eligibility.
When a student ages 15-18 submits an application for a Georgia driver’s license or instruction permit, the applicant must present proof that he or she satisfies one of the following conditions as specified in O.C.G.A. § 40-5-22 (a.1):
- Is enrolled in and not under expulsion from a public or private school
- Is enrolled in a home education program that satisfies the reporting requirements of all state laws governing such program
- Has received a high school diploma, a general educational development (GED) diploma, a special diploma, or a certificate of high school completion
- Has terminated his or her secondary education and is enrolled in a post secondary school or is pursuing a general educational development (GED) diploma.
FEE: There is a $5.00 fee for all Certificates of Enrollment.
DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR: The student should contact his/her local school to obtain a Certificate of Enrollment. Students should submit their request for a Certificate of Enrollment at least two weeks prior to the date needed. For additional information, contact your local school office.
HOME SCHOOLED STUDENTS: The Georgia Department of Education is responsible for certifying that students enrolled in home study programs satisfy the attendance requirements.
Visit the GDOE Homeschool Page - Rules and Procedures for Home School
DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS: During the regular school year, the Certificate of School Enrollment is good for 30 days after the date it is notarized. During the summer months of June, July, and August, when most schools are not in session, the Department of Driver Services will accept Certificates of School Enrollment that are dated near the end of the school year (late May or early June).
- From May 30 - August 15 of each year Certificates of Enrollment are issued by the Department of Student Assignment & Records, 130 Trinity Avenue – 2nd Floor, Atlanta, Georgia 30303 (404-802-2233).
INELIGIBLE STUDENTS: Certificate of School Enrollment are not issued to students who have graduated from high school, have earned a GED, or are enrolled in college or post secondary school. Such students must furnish acceptable proof of their status to the Department of Driver Services.