VISION FOR MATHEMATICS TEACHING & LEARNING
In Atlanta Public Schools,
we aim to be a high-performing school district where
students love to learn, educators inspire, families engage, and the community trusts the system.
All Atlanta Public School students will:
- See mathematics as a connected discipline that helps them understand the world and critique new ideas.
- Demonstrate that they are flexible and resourceful problem solvers by making meaning of the mathematics.
- Challenge each other's thinking through reasoning and evidence-based critique.
- Engage in productive struggle with grade-level aligned tasks that invite them to use their prior knowledge to build new understanding.
- Demonstrate their mathematical understanding with peers and teachers, both orally and in writing, through grade-appropriate mathematical representations.
- Exhibit a growth mindset by taking risks, seeking feedback from teachers and peers, and reflecting on both their successes and mistakes.
- Collaborate with peers and build relationships based on mutual respect and inclusion of each other’s mathematical ideas.