The Health Services Department believes that students can thrive and perform at their potential when they are healthy and present. Health Services provides coordinated school-based nursing services and district health initiatives to ensure delivery of quality individualized support for students. A comprehensive health services approach provides support to enhance educational achievement by improving and protecting the health status of students through disease prevention, early detection, and removal or mitigation of health-related barriers to learning.
Student health and wellbeing are enhanced through intentional collaboration and partnership to foster optimal health outcomes. We believe opportunities to develop, implement, and evaluate health services tailored for an urban school district are grounded by policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), best practices, and aligned with School Health Law we can exceed in providing for the Whole Child, Whole School, and Whole Community.
APS Health Services Department Infrastructure is comprised of a Director, District Registered Nurse, District Epidemiologist, Case Investigators, School-Based Health Coordinator, Registered Nurses, and Licensed Practical Nurses.
School Nursing Services is responsible for the development of individualized health management plans for students with healthcare conditions. School-based nursing services provide health-related support for students with documented health conditions. Below are some of these services:
Students and Partnerships
- Provide and coordinate vision, hearing, dental, scoliosis, and other required screenings for students, including referrals as needed.
- Ensure immunizations for students are current for school attendance.
- Provide first-aid, emergency care, and prescribed medical intervention as indicated by physician orders while at school.
- Promote awareness activities through education and targeted health initiatives
Parents/Guardians and Community
- Provide information for preventing common illnesses through health education, guidance to parents, and community resources.
- Serve as a resource and advocate to parents by identifying and seeking to eliminate health /safety hazards within the school.
- Assist parents with administration of prescribed medical treatment based on medical need with current physician order.
Student Health Services and Academic Success
Research studies have demonstrated a positive relationship with Comprehensive School Nursing Services on students’ academic success. School Nurses:
- Address medical needs for students in a school setting.
- Increase students’ academic achievement grades, by managing health conditions.
- Decrease absences by managing health conditions.
- Identify and address health-related barriers to learning.
- Implement guidelines for school health and nursing services.
For more information contact :
Valencia Beckley Hildreth, Ph.D., RN
Director, Health Services
Joyce Williams, MS
Twanna R. House, MAOM, CFSM
School Health Coordinator
Cheryl Freeman, BSN, RN
District Registered Nurse
Juliana Prieto, MPH
Jalisa Holloway, BSPH
District Case Investigator