SINGLE GENDER ACADEMYANNUAL OPT IN / OUT OUT for CURRENT STUDENTS
Deadline: Friday, March 11, 2016 (Opt In / Opt Out)
Parents may indicate their choice by completing and returning the Opt In/Opt Out notice to the school or the parents may use the Opt In/Opt Out Online Form to indicate their choice.For those who missed the Opt-In window and School Choice window, click here to view theAs part of the 2012 redistricting process, the ABOE voted to eliminate the BEST/Coretta Scott King cluster and open BEST Academy and Coretta Scott King for citywide enrollment. The former zone of BEST Academy and Coretta Scott King is now zoned to Harper Archer Middle School and Douglass High School.
Parents of students who live in the former BEST Academy and Coretta Scott King zones (the Priority Zone) now have the option of opting into the single gender schools. These students receive priority placement over other students from the district who apply to attend the single gender schools. Students who do not reside in the Priority Zone must apply to attend a single gender school during the School Choice/Student Transfer Application period.
Visit the School Websites:BEST ACADEMY (male students) CORETTA SCOTT KING YWLA (female students)
INTERESTED IN A SINGLE GENDER SCHOOLCome to the SINGLE GENDER EXPERIENCE on MARCH 3, 2015 at 6:00 pm @CSKYWLA SchoolOPT IN / OPT OUT PERIOD FOR 2015-2016
February 9 - March 6, 2015
The district has an annual Opt-In / Opt Out Period for students residing in the Priority Zone. Parents who reside in the Priority Zone will receive notice that their child is eligible to attend a single gender academy. The students residing in the Priority Zone will be given first preference over students living elsewhere in the district. Transportation is provided for students who reside in the Priority Zone.Students currently attending a single gender academy will receive notice that they can OPT OUT of the single gender school. The student’s address must be zoned for one of the following Priority Zone Elementary Schools: Boyd, Grove Park/Woodson, Scott or F. L. Stanton. Check to verify that your child is eligible (zone school locator) ==>> https://maps.apsk12.org/.
Parents residing in the Priority Zone also have the following options:
(1) Student can continue in the Harper Archer/ Douglass the feeder pattern. If you elect to have your child continue in the feeder pattern, but you later desire to enroll in a single gender academy, your child will not be able to attend a single gender academy until the following school year (2016-2017) when the Opt In Period opens again.
(2) If you live in the priority zone and your child is currently attending another APS school, but you later desire to attend a single gender academy, your child will not be able to attend a single gender academy until the following school year (2016-2017) when the Opt In Period opens again.
(3) Parents who do want their child to attend a single gender school or the current school will need to request a general administrative transfer to attend an out of zone school. The application period for general administrative transfers for 2015-2016 is March 7 and March 9 – March 27, 2015. Click here to visit the Student Transfers Webpage.
(4) OPT OUT: Students who are currently attending a single gender school may Opt Out of the single gender and attend the feeder school or request a general administrative transfer to attend an out of zone school. The application period for general administrative transfers for 2015-2016 is March 7 and March 9 – March 27, 2015. Click here to visit the Student Transfers Webpage.
- Parents must reside in the priority zone for their student to be eligible to Opt In to a single gender academy.
- The single gender academy becomes the child’s designated school for the 2015-2016 school year if the parent elects to Opt In.
- Once the student has indicated their school choice, the student cannot change schools midyear to:
- Attend the feeder school; or
- Attend the single gender.