SCHOOL COUNSELING VISION STATEMENT
The vision of the Atlanta Public Schools School Counseling Department is to support the systems vision to become a high-performing school district where students love to learn, educators inspire, families engage and the community trusts the system. APS counselors collaborate and consult with parents, community members and other educators to improve student achievement by customizing educational experiences in order to close achievement gaps among high and low performing groups and support positive choices. The counseling program will assist students in becoming college and career ready upon graduation and motivate students to become responsible and productive citizens.SCHOOL COUNSELING MISSION STATEMENT
In a caring culture of trust and collaboration, the mission of the Atlanta Public Schools Counseling Department is to provide high quality, comprehensive school counseling services to all students. Our programs are designed to help students develop and enhance their academic, behavioral, career, and personal/social strengths in order to ensure that all students graduate ready for college and career.SCHOOL COUNSELING BELIEFSAPS School Counseling Program is based on developmental concepts and theories and recognizes the strengths of each individual. The program is preventative and proactive; it encourages students, staff, and community to appreciate the contributions, rights, and responsibilities of themselves and others.The school counselors in Atlanta Public Schools believe:
The Atlanta Public Schools Comprehensive School Counseling Program:
- All students can achieve at high levels.
- Every student is valuable and is treated with dignity and respect.
- All students will have access to high quality school counseling services, provided by a certified, professional school counselor.
- All students’ ethnic, cultural, racial differences are considered in the design and delivery of school counseling services.
- All students can expect that school is a safe and nurturing environment.
- Is an integral part of the total educational process of the Atlanta Public School System.
- Is planned, coordinated, managed, and evaluated by the school counselors.
- Is available to all students to assist them with personal-social, educational, and career counseling needs.
- Stimulates student learning.
- Encourages supportive, positive parental involvement in the schools.
- Helps build a positive school environment by encouraging collaboration among counselors, teachers, administrators, parents and the community to further student achievement.
- Is continuously refined and improved through systematic review and evaluation of student performance data.
All school counselors in Atlanta Public Schools are guided by the Ethical Standards of the American School Counseling Association and the Georgia Professional Standards Commission Code of Ethics for Educators
Atlanta Public Schools (APS) mission is to ensure that with a caring culture of trust and collaboration, every student will graduate ready for college and career.
APS School Counseling Department is proud to offer a database that includes scholarships and grants for APS students to apply, as they prepare for postsecondary education. Many scholarships are based on a combination of academic achievement, community service, leadership, financial need, and/or other criteria.
Please visit the link below to learn more about the scholarship opportunities available for our scholars.
Follow Us on Twitter @ATL_Counselors
School Counseling Coordinator
Atlanta Public Schools
130 Trinity Avenue SW- 6th Floor
Atlanta, Georgia 30303