The Atlanta Public Schools Police Department
APS sees many benefits of managing its own Police Department with in-house School Resource Officers in its schools. They include:
- Improve school safety and reduce school-based crime
- Diminish classroom time spent on discipline and behavioral disruptions
- Connect at-risk students to needed services, divert youth from juvenile court, and create safe, secure, and peaceful school environments.
- Increase feelings of safety among students, teachers, and administrators
- Improve relationships between law enforcement and youth