8th grade Parent Handbook
Bowties & Tutus (Daddy & Daughter Dance) RSVP
Herman J. Russell West End Academy 2023 Ties & Tutus (Daddy & Daughter Dance) is being held at Herman J. Russell West End Academy on May 5, 2023, from 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm. If you would like to attend, please RSVP below.
Click the link ------->>>> RSVP
Mother & Son Sneaker ball
Herman J. Russell West End Academy 2023 Mother & Son Sneaker Ball is being held at Herman J. Russell West End Academy on May 12, 2023, from 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm . If you would like to attend, please RSVP below.
Click the link ------->>>> RSVP
Father Son Cookout (RSVP LINK IS NOW CLOSED).
Herman J. Russell West End Academy 2023 Father Son Cookout on April 27, from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm, being held at Herman J. Russell West End Academy. Fathers and sons are encouraged to color coordinate or wear a similar outfit.RSVP LINK IS NOW CLOSED.
Mother Daughter Luncheon RSVP
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL!Herman J. Russell West End Academy 2023 Mother-Daughter Luncheon on May 18, from 11am - 1pm. HJRWEA would like to celebrate our wonderful mothers and highlight their daughters as well. Mothers and daughters are encouraged to color coordinate or wear a similar outfit. Please click the link below to RSVP.
GEORGIA MILESTONE TESTING CALENDAR
Click the link for a full view ---> TESTING CALENDAR
Rising 6th Grade Registration
All rising 6th Grade students are required to complete registration prior to the first day of school. Please scan the QR CODE OR CLICK THE LINK BELOW to begin Online Registration. If you need assistance, please contact our Registration Department at email@example.com
Click link --->>> Begin Registration
2023 Summer ARA inforAPS Summer Academic Recovery Academy (ARA)mation
Virtual Instructional Plan 2022-2023
HJRWEA FY 22-23 Bell Schedules
22-23SY Registration Letter for Transition Grades
Surveillance Testing For Students And Staff
APS offers COVID-19 surveillance testing for students and staff at every school and building. The rapid testing is quick and painless. Let’s stay healthy together. Families can provide consent electronically here: http://tinyURL.com/HealthyAPS
Quarantine Guidelines and FAQs
Click the link to access Quarantine Guidelines | Health and Safety Guidelines Frequently Asked QuestionsClick the link to access Quarantine Guidelines | Health and Safety Guidelines Frequently Asked Questions
Herman J. Russell West End Academy 2021-2022 Registration Information
All new and current student registrations are completed online.
Visit https://www.atlantapublicschools.us/Page/63456 click the link for New Student and Enrollment Tab if you are new to Atlanta Public Schools.
All existing students and rising 6th grade Visit https://www.atlantapublicschools.us/Page/63456 click the link for Transitioning Student Registration and Enrollment to update your information.
All parents must submit the required documents per Atlanta Public Schools requirements for enrollment:
Parents Identification Birth Certificate Social Security Card Immunization Record
Ear, Eye, Dental Record Current Lease
Current Georgia Power Bill
Notarized Affidavit of Residency
For registration questions contact:
6th- 8th Grades: firstname.lastname@example.org
HJRWEA SCHOOL UNIFORMS
At Herman J. Russell West End Academy, we do not have a Uniform Policy; we follow the District Dress Code Policy, and we suggest that students wear the recommended uniform. We encourage students to wear school uniforms daily (Monday-Friday) because uniforms create a sense of unity, professionalism, and discipline for our scholars. All Herman J. Russell West End Academy scholars are expected to follow the dress code every day. See below for details on uniforms for all grade levels:
Khaki, Black, Blue/Navy pants or jeans (no rips or tears)
- Clothing with profanity, drugs or other inappropriate logos, etc.
- Visible underwear (no sagging)
- Hats, hoods, bandanas, hair bonnets, head scarves
- Excessively ripped, frayed, unhemmed, patched or torn clothing
- Bedroom shoes, flip-flops or slides
- Shorts or skirts shorter than fingertip of 3rd finger
- Tank tops/low cut necklines, bare backs, or bare midriffs
DISTRICT DRESS CODE POLICY IF NOT IN SCHOOL UNIFORM
All school dress codes must be in compliance with Policy JCDB. Unless a school uniform has been designated or otherwise specified, a student is expected to adhere to the following minimum school dress code requirements:
1. Clothing, hairstyles, and jewelry must not cause a disruption or constitute a health or safety hazard.
2. Clothing must be of appropriate length and fit. Extremely tight clothing, sagging shorts or trousers, or baggy, oversized clothing is not permitted.
3. Clothing and/or jewelry must not contain words or symbols that are gang-related, offensive, insulting, embarrassing, sexually suggestive, obscene, or promote illegal behavior.
4. Clothing and/or jewelry must not contain any advertisement or display of words or symbols associated with alcohol, illegal drugs, or tobacco.
5. Caps, hats, head wraps, bandanas, hoods, or other head coverings must not be worn in the school building during the school day unless there is a special activity where they are deemed appropriate by the school principal.
6. Appropriate shoes, those that fit and allow for safe movement throughout the school, must be worn at all times at school and school sponsored activities.
7. In accordance with the recommendations of public health officials, the wearing of personal protective equipment (i.e., face coverings, masks, etc.) by students may be required as part of the student dress code.
ATHLETIC INTEREST INFORMATION
Click the link to access Herman J. RUSSELL WEST END ACADEMY (ATHLETIC INTEREST INFORMATION)
HJRWEA 5K (STEPS FOR STEAM RUN/WALK)
Meet & Greet (All you need to know about Principal Green) Click the link below:
SCHOOL SOCIAL WORK CORNER
Please click on the link below for more information:
School Social Work Google Website:
Virtual Parent Center!! #VPC
Click the link to visit our Virtual Parent Learning Center(VPLC)
Herman J. Russell West End Academy Staff Visits Russell Innovation Center For Entrepreneur
Instructions/Video for students to join Google Meet via classroom
Steps for Students to Authenticate Their Zoom Account
Volunteers we need you. Please click the link to access "Fingerprinting & Background Check Request Form" (Volunteer) | HBCU Rising video dedicated to our BMS Students! | BROWN MIDDLE SCHOOL STAFF EMAIL DIRECTORY BMS Earns the Brilliant Pathway's School of Distinction honor( click to read) | Afterschool Allstars Requirement Form( click to read)
**Staff Keeping Partners Engaged During This Time
Please utilize this forms to make requests for technical assistance for getting connected to resources and funding and check out our toolkit here.
First Look Parent Referral Window notice
- Please watch the updated 15-minute Parent Informational Video on the APS Gifted Eligibility Testing Process so you understand what OGATE is telling parents in this video.
- By September 1, post the following to the front page of your school website, parent page, gifted page, and in any parent communication in September. Simply copy this indented verbiage and all links immediately below and send to your webmaster for posting:
The window to request a parent referral for Gifted Eligibility Testing this school year is open from September 1 through September 30. Please visit these links for:
1) Parent Referral Informational Video
2) Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (en Espanol)
For students who cannot access Zoom links, please sign on to MyBackPack! Once successfully signed in, you will have access to any teacher’s Zoom link and Google Classroom Please see the instructions below for teachers & students to authenticate their zoom accounts. Also, the district help guide for zoom can be found at the following link: http://tinyaps.com/?zoom
Authenticating on Chromebooks: https://sites.google.com/apsk12.org/zoom/aps-zoom-for-students/chromebook?authuser=0
Authenticating on Cellphones or iPads:
Authenticating on Windows Devices:
Atlanta Public Schools Internet Access Survey
The APS Immunizations link is a method of sharing information to parents, students, staff, and communities about immunization requirements for school attendance in accordance with Official Code of Georgia O.C.G.A § 20-2-771. Stay abreast of immunization resources to ensure compliance for attending school and to help APS promote a healthy and safe environment for all APS students. Information is updated and aligned with the current recommendations of the Advisory of Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
Certificates of Immunization are required by Georgia Law 20-2-771. All kindergarten, sixth and seventh grade students, all students new to Georgia and students coming from any private school must have the Georgia Certificate of Immunization 3231 form signed by a licensed health-care provider or the county health department. Click here for FULTON COUNTY HEALTH CENTERS or DEKALB COUNTY HEALTH CENTERS.
For students entering from out-of-state schools, please contact your local Health Department or a Georgia licensed physician to have immunizations transferred to the Georgia Immunization Certificate (Form 3231). You will need to have your immunization record from your state in order to transfer immunizations to Form 3231. All requirements apply to students transferring from out-of-state schools to Georgia schools.
*New entrants include anyone that is entering Georgia schools for the first time or is returning to a Georgia school after being gone for more than 12 months or one school year.
To be enrolled in APS, ALL certificates of immunization must be marked “Complete for Attendance” OR have a future expiration date. Expired certificates will not be accepted for enrollment.
KINDERGARTEN (Requirements for K-6)
- Four (4+) DTaP (# of Doses depends upon age given)
- Four (4+) IPV (# of Doses depends upon age given)
- Three (3) Hepatitis B
- Two (2) doses of Measles vaccine, Two (2) doses of Mumps vaccine, and One (1) dose of Rubella vaccine OR Two (2) doses of the combined MMR [OR Documented History of disease or Serology]
- Two (2) Hepatitis A [Hepatitis A (Required if born on or after 01/01/2006]
- Two (2) doses of Varicella vaccine [OR Documented History of disease or Serology]
Rising 7th Grade Immunization Requirements
Effective July 1, 2014, all 7th grade students who were born on or after January 1, 2002, and all new entrants to grades 8-12 who are entering into a Georgia school for the first time or entering after having been absent from a Georgia school for more than twelve months (one school year) will be required to have:
- 1 Dose of Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) Vaccine (and)
- 1 Dose of Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine
PLEASE NOTE: These changes only affect rising 7th graders (born on or after January 1, 2002), and students who are considered “new entrants” for grades 8-12.
New 11th Grade Immunization Requirements
Georgia's immunization requirements for students entering or transferring into the eleventh grade have been revised to align with the current recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).
Effective July 1, 2021, all students who are new entrants or transfers into a Georgia school in the eleventh grade, will require proof of a booster dose of the meningococcal conjugate vaccine, unless their first dose was received on or after their sixteenth birthday.
- Certificates must be signed by a physician licensed in GA or public health official. A stamp of a Physician’s signature is permissible when cosigned by an office staff member.
- Certificates must have a printed typed or stamped name and address of the physician, health department or Georgia Registry of Immunization Transactions and Services (GRITS) official issuing the certificate.
- Certificates must have a complete date of issue with the month, day and year.
Immunizations Resource Documents
- Meningitis Vaccine Parent Letter English
- Meningitis Vaccine Parent Letter Spanish
- 7th Grade Immunizations Letter APS (ENG)
- 7th Grade Immunizations Letter APS (SPA)
- 11th Grade Immunizations Letter APS (ENG)
- 11th Grade Immunizations Letter APS (SPA)
- 11th Grade Vaccination MCV4 2020 Requirement
- Tdap Meningitis Parents Fact Sheet
- PVW Parent Flyer English & Spanish
- Religious Exemption Form 2208 - ENGLISH
- Religious Exemption Form 2208 - SPANISH
- Meningococcal booster dose requirement update
Valencia Beckley Hildreth, PhD, RN
Comprehensive Health Services Manager