Horizontal Scrollable Menu
Resize the browser window to see the effect.
The Atlanta Urban Teacher Residency Program is a competitive, selective program. We work to identify the most qualified candidates for the program and employ a comprehensive and rigorous selection process. We encourage you to start your application as soon as possible, be thoughtful with your responses and work diligently to schedule the necessary requirements, including contacting your references, requesting transcripts and registering for the necessary GACE exams.
The Atlanta Urban Teacher Residency Program is looking for candidates that:
- Have a bachelor’s degree (conferred by June 1, 2018)
- Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale (although applicants with an undergraduate GPA lower than 3.0 but at least 2.75 may be considered for admission by submitting an additional letter of recommendation that explains their qualifications for admission to Relay). Relay cannot consider applicants with a GPA of less than 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for admission of any kind
- Have US citizenship or permanent resident status
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree conferred by the start of the program to be eligible to apply for the 2018-2019 residency program cohort.
Individuals must have have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale (although applicants with an undergraduate GPA lower than 3.0, but at least 2.75, may be considered for admission by submitting an additional letter of recommendation that explains their qualifications for admission to Relay). Relay cannot consider applicants with a GPA of less than 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for admission of any kind. Candidates must provide (or have on file with APS Human Resources Department) at least one official transcript from each college or university attended.
● Candidates will complete the GACE Educator Ethics Program Entry Assessment prior to beginning summer programming but only after they have been prompted to do so by Relay.
● Candidates will complete the GACE Program Admission Assessment and the GACE content assessment during the first year of the program and will be required to pass the EdTPA and the Educator Ethics Program Exit Assessment during the second year of the program.
All applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents to be eligible for the program.
All applicants must complete an online application with Relay Graduate School of Education. https://apply.relay.edu/apply/?sr=9f13792f-0036-473d-b057-7a275f02abca
- Your application must be complete to be considered; you will receive an email confirmation once you have completed your submission.
- Applicants can expect to hear from Relay regarding their status within 5 days after each deadline.
- Applicants invited to complete a video interview will have 1 week to complete and submit.
- In addition to your video interview, in order to receive a decision applicants will also submit unofficial transcripts for all institutions of higher education attended, a sample teach lesson plan (completed for the video interview), and 1-2 recommendations (contact information for recommenders is submitting in the application).
- Applicants will receive notification regarding their status within 10-12 days after the video interview deadline; accepted applicants will also be notified of their Relay campus assignment.
- Offers will only be extended to applicants who have submitted all required materials (see above); if you are not able to submit required materials you will be placed on hold.
- Confirmed candidates will receive interview and placement support, as well as specific direction regarding applicable certification requirements (these will differ by state and eligible subject areas/grade levels).
- The specific timeline for your placement process may vary for different campuses/candidates.
- You may want to review personal information previously submitted to ensure accuracy.
- You will be asked to update your application to include placement details, and there are additional questions to complete in order to be officially considered for graduate admissions.
ONLINE APPLICATION GUIDANCE
We are excited that you are interested in applying and we encourage you to prepare to submit your application by 1) updating your resume, 2) working on responses to the four short answer questions below, and 3) identifying 1-2 individuals who will submit a recommendation on your behalf (more detail provided on the next page). You will be asked to submit your resume, short answer responses, and recommender contact information on the application.
VIDEO INTERVIEW GUIDANCE
The video interview will consist of four (4) sections:
- four (4) interview questions (2 mins/question; 8 mins total),
- a 5-minute sample teach (lesson plan template provided),
- a sample teach reflection (2 mins), and
- a classroom scenario response (2 mins).
The whole process will likely require 30-60 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to record (60-90 minutes total). For each section of the video interview you will need to record yourself using a desktop or laptop computer (preferable) or a mobile device. To provide an easy and seamless video interview process, we are using VidCruiter, an online software tool, to manage all of our video submissions.
To complete requirements in this stage of the process, applicants must submit their completed video interview on VidCruiter, upload their sample teach lesson plan, and upload unofficial transcripts for all institutions of higher education attended. In addition, your recommendations should be submitted by the deadline in order to ensure that you can move forward to our committee review process. You will be able to see the status of recommendations on your Relay GSE Application status page, and if needed you can also send a reminder to your recommender(s).
Respond to the first application question to indicate, "Yes, I would like support finding a residency teaching position for the 2018-19 school year."
When completing the Resume and Essay section of the application, please make sure to indicate the APS school where you currently work and provide detail regarding your current position and interest in completing the residency next year.
We would like to learn more about you from someone who knows you well. Your recommender should be someone who has been a supervisor in an academic, employment, or community service context and can speak to your academic strengths, experience and/or potential as an educator, as well as fit for APS/Relay. Your recommender should be someone who has served as a manager, colleague, or professor in the past four years. Your recommender cannot be a future employer, classmate/friend, or family member.
All applicants must submit at least one recommendation. If your undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0, you must have two recommendations submitted on your behalf.
You can use the height and width attributes to specify the size of the iframe: