Selecting Courses for 2019-2020
Rising 9th grade students and parents should use this Course Request Form to select academic, pathway, and elective courses for the 2019-2020 year. For guidance and additional information while completing this form, please reference the following documents:
- MJHS Course Catalog, which contains descriptions of every course offered; and
- View this Powerpoint which contains descriptions of our Pathways and additional elective courses.
PLEASE NOTE that courses selected are requests, and do not represent a student's final schedule. We will do our best to honor requests, but there are NO GUARANTEES. Completing this form does not guarantee placement in the courses you are requesting.
Selecting Your Core Academic Classes
All MJHS students will take one full year of ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies in their 9th grade year. Students are able to take either general/on-level or honors classes in each of these core subject areas. It is not necessary for a student to take all on-level or all honors, but a student may chose a mixture based on their own academic strengths. Please know that it is NOT required to be in honors classes in order to be on track for participating in the IBDP program. It IS recommended that a student maintain a "B" average in their core subjects.
In selecting the appropriate core classes, MJHS guidelines recommend that a student who is interested in taking an honors-level course should meet 2 of the following 3 conditions:
- Proficient or Distinguished on EOG assessments in the core subject;
- Current grade of 85 or higher in the core subject area OR a final grade of 4 or higher in the core subject area from 7th grade.
- In Reading or Math, a MAP Score of 76th percentile or higher, which is considered “above average.”
Please discuss recommendations for placement with your child's current 8th grade teachers in the respective core subject areas.