The Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl is a reading competition that was created by a librarian named Helen Ruffin. She wanted to foster a love for reading in all students. To participate in the reading bowl competition, a school will have to put together a team of 4th and 5th grade dedicated students that will read and be able to answer questions from the 2019 Georgia Book Award Nominees. Below is a list of the titles for this year’s reading bowl. If you are interested in joining the CAE Reading Bowl Team, please see Ms. Merriell, the Media Specialist.
2019 Helen Ruiffin Reading Bowl List
- Anderson, John David. (2018) Granted. New York: NY: Walden Pond Press.
- Applegate, Katherine. (2017) Wishtree (Illus. Charles Santoso). New York, NY: Feiwel and Friends.
- Bundy, Tamara. (2017). Walking with Miss Millie. New York, NY: Nancy Paulsen Books.
- Connor, Leslie. (2018). The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle. New York, NY: Katherine Tegen Books.
- Glaser, Karina Yan. (2017). The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Johnson, Varian. (2018). The Parker Inheritance. New York, NY: Arthur A. Levine Books.
- Kelly, Erin Entrada. (2018). You Go First. New York, NY: Greenwillow Books.
- Saeed, Aisha. (2018). Amal Unbound. New York, NY: Nancy Paulsen Books.
- Williams-Garcia, Rita. (2017). Clayton Byrd Goes Underground. New York, NY: Amistad.
- Yang, Kelly. (2018). Front Desk. New York, NY: Arthur A. Levine Books.