The district’s goal has always been to keep our schools open for in-person instruction. We regularly monitor public health data to determine if our buildings are safe for our students, teachers and staff. Our Facilities Department diligently cleans, sanitizes, and prepares our classrooms and buildings to be safe for in-person teaching and learning.
The APS Facilities Department follows EPA and CDC requirements for sanitizing our schools and work environment. Some of our efforts include:
- Cleaning and sanitizing our schools and buildings*, high-touch common area wipe-downs daily, and monitoring hand soap and paper towel stocks throughout the day
- If a COVID-19 case is identified, we will deep clean, which involves cleaning and disinfecting surfaces within classrooms and high-touch areas.
- Installed hand sanitizing stations in common areas
- Installed wall-mounted hand sanitizer in each classroom
- Providing disinfectant and paper towels in each classroom
- Conducting facility wipe downs during nightly cleaning
- Water fountains are offline and provided water bottle fillers
- Atlanta Public Schools has conducted water quality testing in schools, stadiums, and administrative facilities. (Facilities Website: View Informational Letter & Frequently Asked Questions)
* Learn more about the chemicals we use to clean our buses and facilities by clicking on each for a detailed description: