Atlanta Public Schools' Guidance for Athletics and Extracurricular Activities
APS will continue monitoring COVID-19 in our community and schools and consider COVID data and guidance from the CDC and DPH in making future decisions regarding masking and additional mitigation strategies. For now, students participating in athletics and extracurricular activities should continue to stay home when sick.
Guidance for Acclimatization and Practice with Minimal to No Restrictions/ Athletics
- Use of locker rooms or shower facilities is acceptable with the following guidance.
- Facilities and all equipment should be sanitized after each practice.
- Weight equipment will be cleaned before each workout and sanitized between uses by each student.
- Hand sanitizer will be plentiful and readily available.
Return to play protocol post COVID19 Diagnosis or Exposure:
Student safety and well-being are vitally important. Those diagnosed with COVID-19 may return to school after completing the DPH Isolation Guidelines. Review the isolation + close contact tab for the latest guidance.
Return to play protocol post-COVID-19 Exposure:
After completing the DPH COVID-19 Isolation Guidance, student-athletes may return to sports activities.
- Students and staff must wash or sanitize their hands as they enter and exit the practice.
- Teach students proper hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette, and physical distancing guidelines.
Equipment Safety and Sanitation
- Consult with the school-wide COVID-19 response team and CDC and EPA guidance on proper physical education equipment sanitation procedures.
- Inventory athletic equipment at the school to identify which equipment can be easily and effectively sanitized. Cloth or porous materials are more difficult to properly sanitize than vinyl or plastic materials.
- Properly clean and disinfect equipment between practices. If there is not equitable access to equipment for all athletes or equipment cannot be properly cleaned and disinfected between practices, avoid using equipment altogether.
Although the CDC does not provide specific numbers for limits of attendees for events or gatherings, it recommends that organizers monitor levels of community transmission and vaccination coverage when deciding mitigation strategies (CDC Event Planning FAQs, CDC Guidance for Outdoor and Indoor Activities).
Atlanta Public Schools' Guidance for Arts and Performances
APS will continue monitoring COVID-19 in our community and schools and will consider COVID data and guidance from the CDC and DPH in making future decisions regarding masking and additional mitigation strategies. For now, students participating in athletics and extracurricular activities should continue to stay home when sick.
Proper hygiene strategies should remain in place. All other APS guidance should be followed, including optional masking and physical distancing when possible.