TIPS FOR READING WITH CHILDREN
KINDERGARTEN - THIRD GRADE
1. Keep reading to your child even when he can read.
Read books that are too difficult or too long to read alone.
2. Try reading books with chapters and talk about what is happening in the story. Encourage your child to make predictions about what will happen next and connect characters or events to those in other books.
3. Talk with your child about reading preferences that are beginning to develop such as adventure, mysteries, science fiction, animal stories.
4. Favorite authors - if your child enjoys a book, encourage him to read another by the same author.
5. Take turns reading a story. Don't interrupt to correct mistakes unless it changes the meaning.
6. Talk about the meanings of new words and ideas
7. Talk with your child about sequencing, beginning, middle and end.
8. Ask your child why a story character took a specific action and ask for information to support the answer.
**9. Take turns reading a book with your child
A parent is a child's