CTAE Criminal Investigations Instructor Ms. Baron and Kurt Erskine -United States Attorneys Office.
- Acting United States Attorney for the Northern District.
- Previously worked as a defense lawyer in private practice.
- Applied with the office in 2001 as a prosecutor; began working after 9-11.
- Prior to his current role, he was the First Assistant United States Attorney. In this position he was tasked with overseeing the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of the office.
How many people are employed by the company? 235
How has technology affected the company? Technology has made employees more efficient and allowed jobs to be done remotely.
What should I be teaching in my classroom to prepare students for employment in a company like this? Public service is so important and critical; it’s a great benefit to the community.
- The United States Attorney’s Office is the chief law enforcement office.
- The main role of this office is enforcing and defending the laws of the United States.
- This is completed by representing the citizens of the districts through the prosecution of various cases.
- There are a total of 93 districts in the country.
- The state of Georgia is split into three districts; Northern, Middle, and Southern.
- The city of Atlanta sits in the Northern district.
- Kurt Erskine is the current acting U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia.
- The U.S. Attorney is appointed by the President; Mr. Erskine was named acting U.S. Attorney in February 2021 by virtue of the Vacancies Reform Act.
What should I be teaching in my classroom to prepare students for employment in a company like this?
- Clean criminal history; attorneys background check goes back 10 years, while all other employees background checks go back 7 years
- Clean credit history
- Be able to pass a drug test
- Be able to write a complete sentence
- Proper email etiquette
- Students should stand out from their peers
- Be great writer and reader
- Proper interview attire
What ideas or materials do you currently have that a teacher could use in the classroom?
- I was provided with a handout that includes objectionable interview questions and acceptable interview questions. Prohibited and lawful questions were also listed as well as potential interview questions
What is the entry level wage?
- Dependant Upon Position
How is your company involved in the community?
- Community Outreach through the Community Outreach Specialist
- U.S. Attorney also participates in community outreach (https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr/federal-law-enforcement-leaders-address-hate-crimes-and-racism-targeting-aapi-community)
- How do you locate future employees?
- Eligible veterans can apply and be considered for appointment under veterans' preference
What training do you give employees?
- Mandatory annual training
- On the job training conducted by immediate supervisor
- Formal training through what is known as the graduate school; employee must apply and be approved to participate