BTW Strong - -The Legacy Continues
Booker T. Washington High School, named for the famous educator, opened in September 1924 under the auspices of the Atlanta Board of Education, with the late Charles Lincoln Harper as principal. It is the first public high school for African-Americans in the state of Georgia and the Atlanta Public Schools. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1927, the only exact replica of the Booker T. Washington monument at Tuskegee University in Alabama was erected at the school's entrance. The statue of Washington, called "Booker T. Washington Lifting the Veil of Ignorance" by sculptor Charles Keck reads: "He lifted the veil of ignorance from his people and pointed the way to progress through education and industry." Prior to its transformation in 2009 to small schools, Washington High had been led by nine principals - Mr. Charles Lincoln Harper ( 1924-1942), Mr. Clinton Cornell (1942-1961), Dr. J. Y. Moreland (1961-1968), Dr. Alvin Dawson (1968-1973), Dr. Robert Collins, Jr. (1973-1990), Dr. Robert Lowe (1990-194), Dr. Joyce Clark (1994-1996), Dr. Shirley Kilgore (1996-2005), and Mr. Carter E. Coleman, Jr. (2005-2009). Washington High School operated as three small schools within a school from 2009 until 2014: Charcia Nichols Banking - - Finance and Investment, Vanessa Nason - - Early College, George Rutledge - - Early College, Samuel Scavella -- HSN.
On August 12, 2013, the Atlanta Board of Education passed a resolution restoring Booker T. Washington to one comprehensive high school with one principal. Taking the helm since that resolution:
Dr. Tasharah Wilson (2014 - 2018)
Dr. Angela Coaxum-Young ( Fall 2019 - present)