Welcome back and to the 2022-23 school year.! As one of many email messages from the guidance department, we'd like to inform you that the AVA (Atlanta Virtual Academy) part-time course application is underway.For those interested taking one and/or possibly even two classes virtually through the AVA platform during the fall 2022 semester, then you may want to proceed with this registration process.Why would or should you take a virtual course through AVA?
To apply, please go to this link: https://bit.ly/AVAPTHSOnce you are on the website, here are your steps - please READ THIS CAREFULLY
- Reason #1 - You failed a course or courses from the previous semester or previous year, and you did not enroll in any credit recovery program during the summer or last school year. And now you need to recover the credit. - This is called CR or Credit Recovery.
- Reason #2 - You're on-track for graduation and you are simply seeking to get ahead in your credits. You're also interested in taking a course or courses that you'd ordinarily be scheduled to take in the future. Doing so will allow you to get ahead in your credits and possibly graduate early. - This is called IC or Initial Credit.
- Website's 1st page, you'll be requested to supply standard information such as your email, your school network ID, along with your lunch number. Please contact your counselor if you don't know this information.
- Website's 2nd page, this is where you'll select your course(s). You may select up to two courses. Please understand that this an application for part-time AVA (not their full-time program), and it allows you to enroll in two types of courses - CR or IC for either the 1st or 2nd semester's portion of the course. There's an attached document to this email that list all of AVA's part-time courses.
- Then, please review below here for an explanation on how to appropriately register for the right course.
- Where you see an "A" next to the name of the course that means the 1st semester.
- Where you see a "B" next to the name of the course that means the 2nd semester.
- CR - is for credit recovery which means you previously failed a course, and you now need to redo or recover the credit so that you can be eligible for graduation
- IC - is for initial credit which means this is a new course that you've never taken and you're now seeking to earn credit(s) so that you can either get ahead to potentially graduate early or to possibly free up your next year's schedule so that you're able to take on other programs like dual enrollment, WBL (work based learning), or even early release.
- Then for selecting the correct semester's portion, here's an explanation --
- SPECIAL NOTE: If you only need one course, the website may not allow you to move on until you select a 2nd course, no worries just simply select the same course twice - that way it will allow you to move on in the application process.
Again, please submit your application through this link: https://bit.ly/AVAPTHSFall virtual courses begin on Monday August 1, so the deadline to apply is ideally Sunday July 31, but AVA is allowing you up to Sept 2.Lastly, for those who have IC (initial credit) courses, you will need to work on your course(s) beyond the school day i.e. evenings, weekends, holidays, etc. For those who need CR (credit recovery) courses, you may in fact be scheduled for virtual period during the school day in our credit recovery lab. Counselors will explain and make such adjustments to schedules.
- Website's 3rd page, this is where you must select your assigned counselor. See below for who your counselor is.
- 10-12th graders with last names A-F, your new counselor is Rucker, Katrina and her email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10-12th graders with last names G-M, your counselor is Young, Lamar and his email is Ljyoung@atlanta.k12.ga.us
- 10-12th graders with last names N-Z, your counselor is Falcone, Chelsea and her email is email@example.com
- All 9th graders, your counselor is Blevins-Pellechia, Tina and her email is Tblevins2@atlanta.k12.ga.us
The guidance department is updating its email contact database. We'd like for you to continue being included in our email updates which focuses on things such as, but are certainly not limited to - academic resources, SAT/ACT test prep information, community service opportunities, summer programs, employment opportunities, college admissions information, financial aid, HOPE/Zell Miller scholarship information, tutorial resources, general scholarships, mental health resources, and much more.To be included in the 2022-23 email contact database, please quickly make one submission via: https://forms.gle/NJAvV19yEivYGiMR7You'll also find this link on our school's website, so please share with other Midtown HS parents/students: https://www.atlantapublicschools.us/midtown