The Office of Teaching & Learning
The Atlanta Public Schools (APS) Teaching & Learning Office’s mission is to create the conditions for our students to have a high-quality learning experience that will position them for success beyond our PreK-12 system. This office is committed to providing comprehensive academic programming enriched by research-based curricula, continuous improvement in the design and delivery of intentional, standards-based instruction, a formative process for monitoring learning, cultivation of social emotional competencies, and differentiated supports designed to remove obstacles to learning. This means that, every day in every classroom, our focus is to facilitate relevant student learning experiences that not only provide significant and meaningful connections but are grounded in the knowledge, skills, and academic rigor our students will need to effectively navigate the 21st century global landscape.
The Office of Teaching & Learning is comprised of the following departments:
- Academic Enrichment Programs (AEP)
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Early Learning
- Fine Arts
- Gifted & Talented Education
- Health & Physical Education
- Multilingual Programs + Services
- Social Emotional Learning.
As part of its mission, the Office of Teaching & Learning:
- provides oversight, direction and leadership for the district’s PreK-12 programs;
- leads the development, implementation, monitoring and support of standards-based curriculum, instruction, and assessment to ensure that students attain proficiency of the standards;
- assures alignment and consistency of the curriculum within and across grade levels;
- provides resources and instructional strategies that promote high expectations and learning for all students;
- guides and supports teachers and administrators in the implementation of research-based curriculum and instructional practices;
- organizes, facilitates, and supports professional learning for teachers, support staff, and administrators; and
- reviews programs and practices to ensure efficacy and to reflect current research.
As a means of attaining its mission, the Teaching and Learning Office is committed to the continued pursuit of excellence. As such, it leverages the Atlanta Public School Definition of Leadership Excellence (DLE) and Definition of Teaching Excellence (DTE), which articulate the district’s collective and aspirational vision for excellent leadership and teaching, as well as give us shared language to collaboratively work to reach the defined bar. As our district’s vision for excellent leadership and teaching evolves, based on observed excellence in our schools plus schools across the nation, the Teaching and Learning Office will relentlessly drive towards the new “north star.” ToFor more information contact:Dr. Selena FlorenceAssistant Superintendent, Teaching and Learning130 Trinity Avenue, S.W.Atlanta, GA 30303-3624(phone) email@example.com