Questions? Start with your school site!
Your child's school will likely be the best point of contact for most of your questions once the enrollment process is complete. Here are some things you may want to reach out to them about!
- Your School Team Can Support With:
- Parties, Holidays, and School Events
- Nutrition Questions or Concerns
- Transportation Specifics
- School Supplies (but see suggestions below)
- Communication: Your school may have specific modes of communication (e.g. apps, social media, etc.) Please reach out to them to learn more!
- Book Bag Check: Information will come home in your child's bookbag - please be sure to check it every night.
- Information and Contact Information Changes: If your contact information changes (phone, address, etc.), please inform your child’s teacher and provide her with the updated information immediately. Please notify your child’s teacher, the school nurse and Pre-K staff if your child has any food allergies, general allergies, or any medical conditions.
Additional Information That May Be Helpful:
- Transportation/Bus Information:
- Students living within the school zone are eligible for transportation on the school bus. Transportation must be provided by the parent/guardian for students attending outside of their school zone.
If there is a change in the way that your child will be picked up from school, please notify your child’s teacher in writing of the change immediately.
- If your child is riding the school bus, there must be an adult at the bus stop when the student gets on the bus in the morning and off the bus in the afternoon. If it is reported that your student is at the bus stop without an adult, your student’s transportation privileges may be revoked. If an adult is not present in the afternoon, your child will be returned to the school for your child’s safety.
- Please contact the Atlanta Public Schools Transportation office and your school if you need assistance.
- Breakfast and Lunch:
- Breakfast is available each day at school. If you are interested in your child eating breakfast, you must arrive at before the instructional day begins at 7:45 a.m. Please check with your child's school for the time that breakfast is served.
- Lunch is also available each day. Your child may purchase and lunch or parents may provide a lunch each day. If you are providing a lunch, please ensure that it is a healthy lunch free from sugary snacks or sodas. Please refrain from food items that could cause a potential choking hazard for young children.
- Students will not be able to warm food in microwave ovens nor store in refrigerators.
- Allergies and Medical Information:
- Please inform you child's teacher and the school nurse of any known allergies that your child may have, and that a medical form is completed providing any important information needed to ensure that all medical needs are met or expectations in the event of an emergency.
Your child is expected to be in school for 6.5 hours for 180 school days. The instructional day begins at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 2:45 p.m. (Note that this schedule is new for the 2021-2022 school year.) If you are interested in before or after care, please contact your child’s school for a list of offerings
Regular attendance in the Pre-K program is mandatory. Attendance is closely monitored. If your child will be absent or tardy for any reason, please inform your teacher in writing or through phone calls. Excessive tardies or absences may result in termination from the Pre-K program. If your child is out sick for 3 days or more, please provide a written doctor’s note upon his or her return. If your child has a fever of 101 or more, your child MUST stay home for 24 hours to be clear of the illness.
Inclement Weather:In the event of inclement weather, please watch your local news or call APS for school closures.
- School Supplies: Teachers may request donations, but parents are only required to bring a change of clothes, a large towel/blanket, and a bookbag. If you'd like to purchase items, the list below may be a helpful guide:
- Washable glue (bottle)
- Washable markers
- Scissors (blunt, child-size)
- Construction paper (multi-colored pack)
- Pencils (jumbo or regular)
- Disinfectant wipes
- Paper towels
- Plastic sandwich bags (1 gallon, 1 quart)
- Change of clothes (required in the event of an accident)
- Small blanket for nap time (will be sent home for cleaning/replacement as needed)
- Small book bag
- Your School Team Can Support With: