The mission of Benjamin E. Mays High School is to inspire learners in a secure, nurturing and collaborative environment to promote social and global awareness through academic ownership.
A high-performing school where open-minded graduates are college and career ready, responsible digital citizens and critical thinkers within a globally competitive society.
Benjamin E. Mays High School is recognized as an IB World School authorized for CP; however it is also recognized as a candidate school* for the MYP. This school is pursuing MYP authorization as an IB World School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy- a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education- that we believe is important for our students.
*Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP), or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.Beliefs* Student learning is a lifelong process and the chief priority of the school.
* Students learn best when they are actively engaged in the learning process.
* A safe, comfortable and nurturing environment promotes student learning.
* Clearly defined expectations coupled with a challenging curriculum (which are set at a highbut achievable level) foster student success.
* Having sufficient time to learn and appropriate support are critical enablers.
* The quality of education depends upon the quality of the teachers in the classroom.
* The appropriate utilization of technology optimizes student achievement.
* Desired student outcomes can best be achieved through support.
* Faculty must be exposed to ongoing professional development.
* Relationships of mutual respect enhance teaching and learning.
* Adequate staff, facilities, funds and resources must be provided in order to maximize
individual student achievement.