The Role of School Counselors in addressing the mental health needs of students. (American School Counseling Association, 2012)
School counselors provide counseling sessions in individual or small-group settings that:
- help students overcome issues impeding achievement or success
- help students identify problems, causes, alternatives and possible consequences so they can make decisions and take appropriate action
- are planned and goal-focused and are short-termed in nature
School counselors do not provide therapy or long-term counseling in schools to address psychological disorders.
School counselors provide crisis response:
School counselors are prepared to recognize and respond to student mental health crises and needs. School counselors address those barriers to student success by offering education, prevention and crisis and short-term intervention to include group counseling until the student is connected with available community resources. When students require long-term counseling or therapy, school counselors make referrals to appropriate community resources (ASCA, 2012).
School Counselors can provide mental health referrals for families in need.
Parents can also consult his/her health plan, doctor or employer benefits department for a referral.
ATLANTA SERVICE PROVIDERS
Many organizations serve the families of metro Atlanta, providing mental health services, housing resources, emergency assistance, educational programs and more.
The following is a list of organizations offered only as an informational resource:
- Hughes Spalding (404) 616-2215 (4444 Adults)
- Fulton County Department of Mental Health/Behavioral Health Link 1 (800) 715-4225
- Chris Kids (404) 324-4190 (Peachcare, Magellan, Wellcare, Amerigroup, private pay)
- Families First (404) 853-2844
- Family Intervention Specialists (770) 222-6622 (Medicaid or sliding scale)
- Catholic Social Services (404) 885-7425, (404) 733-3527; (404) 733-3527 (intake Spanish)
- Oak Hill Child, Adolescent & Family Center (404) 612-4111
- Proactive Management Consulting, LLC (770) 319-7468
- Life Enhancement Services (404) 988-1940
- CETPA (bilingual Spanish) (770) 662-0249
- Eastchester Family Services (404) 653-0374