VisionA high-performing school district in which world language students function as readers, writers and critical thinkers in a technologically advancing, global society.
MissionIn a caring culture of global awareness, all APS students will be able to communicate in two or more languages.Program Goals
The purpose of the World Language program in Atlanta Public Schools is to move our students towards second language proficiency and biliteracy through engaging instruction with inspiring teachers. All courses are aligned to the ACTFL World Readiness Standards for Learning Languages.
The goals of the World Language program are:
- to equip students with the skills that will enable them to function in a language other than their own;
- to develop communication skills that allow students to compete effectively in the global community;
- to develop listening, speaking, reading, writing and cultural competence skills in the target and native languages;
- to use technology and other non-print sources to absorb information; and
- to increase awareness of students’ own culture and appreciate the culture(s) of others.