Requirements for Participation
Before any student can try out, they must have an APS physical form packet on file with DT Howard Middle School. All forms need to be submitted to Coach Abernathy in order to try-out for a sport.
Required Paperwork: All paperwork turned in BEFORE trying out for any sports...No exceptions! Please email the following items to Coach Abernathy:
- All sections of the APS sports physical form (print out and complete)
- APS athletics participation form for 2021-22 (print out and complete)
- A copy of your child’s insurance card (front AND back of card)
- NEW REQUIREMENT! Consent to test form - APS is now requiring all students participating in athletics and all extra-curricular activities to agree to surveillance testing, twice a week. This new protocol will be in effect as long as the community spread level remains in the "high" category. It does not apply to students in after-school arts activities that are related to coursework in an enrolled class, like an evening band concert. It does apply to students in an extracurricular activity not associated with an enrolled class, like an after-school drama club. The protocol applies to students at all grade levels. Students wanting to participate in athletics or other extracurricular activities will not be allowed to do so if they have not consented to surveillance testing, twice a week. State law allows local school districts to impose additional requirements for participation in extracurricular activities, including safety requirements. Complete information is located on the APS website.
*** Upload your child's Sports Physical here! ***
Locations For Sports Physicals: Primary Care Physician, Kroger Clinic, Walgreen's Pharmacy, Urgent Care, or Wellstar.
Academic Requirements: Student athletes must have passed 5 classes in the previous semester in order to be eligible for participation (ex. a 7th grade football player must have passed 5 classes in 2nd semester of 6th grade to be eligible).
Complete explanation of all HMS Athletics Policies.
2022-23 Team Payments
2021-22 E-Tickets & Clear Bag Policy
To provide a safer environment for the public and significantly expedite fan entry into Atlanta Public Schools Athletic venues, the Office of Safety and Security will implement the Operational Clear Bag Procedure beginning August 20, 2021, that limits the size and type of bags that may be brought into stadiums, gymnasiums, and other athletic fields.
The district is also implementing an e-ticket only initiative at all athletic events charging admission. This new process will be in place at Lakewood Stadium, Henderson Stadium, and the Walden Athletic Complex, as well as at all school-based athletic facilities hosting competitions where a ticket must be purchased for entry.
Through an agreement with GoFan, those wishing to attend games will be able to purchase tickets through the APS GoFan page. An e-ticket will be sent to the purchaser’s mobile device, which will be scanned at the stadium or school for entry into the game.
PLEASE NOTE: We are listed as Inman Middle School
Howard Athletics Announcements
Howard Fall Sports
- Football summer practices: July 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, & 28.
- All other fall sports will begin in August after school resumes, including Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, and Ultimate. CHECK THE SCHOOL WEB SITE FOR ALL UPDATES LATER THIS SUMMER.
- For all sports, students need a completed sports physical from their doctor or local facility and a copy of their insurance card to participate. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS DONE BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS!