- APS Newsroom Overview
- November 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- October 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- September 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- August 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- July 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- June 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- May 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- April 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- March 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- February 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- January 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
- January 2022 News Releases
- February 2022 News Releases
- March 2022 News Releases
- April 2022 News Releases
- May 2022 News Releases
- June 2022 News Releases
- July 2022 News Releases and Media Clips
- August 2022 News Releases and Media Clips
- September 2022 News Releases and Media Clips
- October 2022 News Releases and Media Clips
- November 2022 News Releases and Media Clips
- December 2022 News Releases and Media Clips
- January 2021 News Releases
- February 2021 News Releases
- March 2021 News Releases
- April 2021 News Releases
- May 2021 News Releases
- June 2021 News Releases
- July 2021 News Releases
- August 2021 News Releases
- September 2021 News Releases
- October 2021 News Releases
- November 2021 News Releases
- December 2021 News Releases
- January 2020 News Releases
- February 2020 News Releases
- March 2020 News Releases
- April 2020 News Releases
- May 2020 News Releases
- June 2020 News Releases
- July 2020 News Releases
- August 2020 News Releases
- September 2020 News Releases
- October 2020 News Releases
- November 2020 News Releases
- December 2020 News Releases
- May 2023 News Releases and Media Clips
09.07 APS Selects Novel Effect to Help Improve Reading Outcomes
Scott Rockfeld, Chief Marketing Officer
Atlanta Public Schools
Seth Coleman, Director of Media
Jasmine Mosley, Media Relations Manager
Novel Effect will be used in Atlanta Public Schools’ elementary and middle school classrooms by more than 3,000 teachers and librarians with over 28,000 students in order to bolster student reading engagement and make read-alouds more fun.
Atlanta, GA – Atlanta Public Schools has chosen Novel Effect, the award-winning app that adds interactive music and sound effects as you read aloud from a children's book, to be used in all 54 of its elementary and middle schools during the 2022-2023 school year.
Teachers and librarians will feature Novel Effect during read-alouds in the classrooms and during library storytimes. Teachers who read with Novel Effect say students are more engaged, have more fun, and ask to read more because of the unique and immersive read-aloud experience.
“Atlanta Public Schools has long been committed to helping our students excel in language arts so introducing Novel Effect in our classrooms is another important part of continuously improving our students’ proficiency scores and creating a lifelong love of reading,” said Jennifer Saunders, Ed.S., Atlanta Public Schools Media Services Coordinator. “An added benefit is when teachers read aloud with Novel Effect, they say it makes storytime even more fun.”
Novel Effect is loved by teachers, librarians, parents, and kids alike, giving it a 4.9 App Store rating with over 4,500 reviews. Many call it "magical" and say student engagement is "off the charts" when reading aloud with Novel Effect.
Novel Effect is the brainchild of Matt and Melissa Hammersley who asked their family and friends to gift books to celebrate the birth of their daughter, Eleanor. As a friend read a book aloud while adding her own fun voices and sound effects, the entire room of parents and children became captivated. Matt then had a lightbulb moment. “If everybody could read a story like this, all kids would love to read.” Three months later, they launched the company, participated in the Alexa Accelerator with Techstars, and were featured on Shark Tank.
"We are thrilled that the nearly 3,000 teachers and librarians and the over 28,000 students in Atlanta Public Schools will be enthralled by the magic of read-alouds created with Novel Effect." said Matt Hammersley, CEO of Novel Effect. "It will be even more rewarding to see the positive impact on the student reading proficiency outcomes throughout the school year."
To learn more about Novel Effect visit www.noveleffect.com.
About Novel Effect
Seattle-based Novel Effect was created to empower parents and educators to connect and engage with their kids. The company’s award-winning mobile app follows along - using patented voice recognition technology - with interactive music and sound effects as a parent or teacher reads aloud from a picture book during storytime. The immersive experience brings the story to life and enables the storyteller to engage and capture the imagination of children. Novel Effect is free to download in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. Learn more at www.noveleffect.com.
About Atlanta Public Schools
Atlanta Public Schools is one of the largest school districts in the state of Georgia, serving approximately 50,000 students across 87 schools and five programs. The District is organized into nine K-12 clusters with 64 traditional schools, 19 charter schools, six partner schools, two alternative schools and five alternative programs. To learn more about Atlanta Public Schools, visit online at www.atlantapublicschools.us.