Office of Ombuds Handbook
Office of the Organizational Ombuds: Parent and Family Advocacy Handbook
Parent and Family Advocacy Handbook
The Parent and Family Advocacy Handbook is a resource for parents, guardians, and families to assist in supporting their children’s academic and developmental growth.
Information provided within the handbook has been developed for the purpose of aiding families in:
- Understanding rights and responsibilities as an Atlanta Public Schools parent or guardian.
- Enhancing knowledge of policies, procedures, and communication strategies used by schools.
- Developing a knowledge of resources and best practices for navigating within schools and the larger district community.
- Gaining skills to advocate on behalf of their student(s) at school.
- Learning how to communicate with their student’s school and locate helpful resources.
The handbook contains answers to frequently asked questions and provides information to assist parents and guardians in connecting with the school district and becoming advocates for their students.