Form Submission: Parent Referral for GATE Testing
- When: deadline September 28, 2018
- What: Parent/guardians of students may fill out and submit the Notice of Consideration for the Gifted and Talented Education Program Gifted Referral and Parental Permission Form to the MES front office to have their students referred for GATE testing.
Welcome to the Gifted and Talented (GATE) Program at Morningside!The Georgia State Board of Education defines a gifted student as “…a student who demonstrates a high degree of intellectual, and/or creative ability(ies), exhibits an exceptionally high degree of motivation, and/or excels in specific academic fields, and who needs special instruction and/or special ancillary services to achieve at levels commensurate with his or her abilities.”Atlanta Public Schools provide services for identified gifted students at all levels. The gifted program is designed to meet the very specific needs of these students and extend competencies in the areas of cognitive skills, learning skills, research and reference skills, communication skills, and metacognitive skills beyond the experience of the regular classroom.The Georgia State Department of Education governs the procedures for identifying and placing students in the gifted program.The APS Multiple Criteria Identification Process assesses students in four areas (Mental Ability, Achievement, Creativity, and Motivation) and requires that students meet minimum score levels in any three of the four areas in order to gain admittance to the gifted program. Please visit the Atlanta Public Schools-GATE website to learn more detailed information about referrals and testing. The page includes informational FAQs and a testing informational video.The GATE at Morningside offers qualifying students an opportunity to develop the following skills:
- Advanced Communication Skills Standard: Learners will engage in diverse and authentic learning experiences which will allow them to develop and apply innovative oral, written, visual, and nonverbal communication skills across disciplines.
- Advanced Research Skills Standard: Learners will gather, decipher, and determine credibility of information from a variety of sources and integrate information thorough analysis of content.
- Creative Thinking & Problem Solving Standard: Learners will insightfully evaluate a variety of problems and arrive at innovative conclusions.
- Higher Order and Critical Thinking Skills Standard: Learners will analytically critique a system or set of complex ideas, utilizing logic and reasoning skills in novel ways, to create and/or modify knowledge.
Visit the Identification and Assessment of Giftedness Frequently Asked Questions website for more information.