During the 2011-2012 school year MES began a three-year initiative to redesign and strengthen the school’s reading instruction. Morningside’s redesigned reading program directly supports student achievement by implementing a reading program that is built to meet all students’ needs at every tier of the pyramid of intervention. The Morningside Foundation
funded this initiative. The faculty participated in a series of staff development courses through the Georgia Educational Training Center (GETA) called The Complete Reading Series.
The Complete Reading Series is a comprehensive reading course designed to empower teachers to possess, understand, and master the content and instructional practices necessary to teach reading, spelling, and comprehension to all students. In addition, 30 staff members have completed the 70 hour Orton-Gillingham
method training. Orton-Gillingham is an explicit, systematic multi-sensory approach used to teach children to read, write, and spell. Through multisensory instruction, the Orton-Gillingham method uses visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning pathways to aid in the mastery of skills
Wilson Fundations Phonics
is an Orton-Gillingham based explicit and systematic phonics and spelling program used in grades K-3. Fundations lessons focus on carefully sequenced skills that include print knowledge, alphabet awareness, phonological awareness, phonemic awareness, decoding, vocabulary, fluency, and spelling.
readers are empowered by skill mastery; inspired by authentic, award-winning text; and confident that they are building the skills needed for college and careers. Backed by proven results, Journeys
is the most widely-used reading program in the country. Journeys
is a research-based, comprehensive English Language Arts program designed to provide solid instruction that is clear and focused with realistic pacing and manageable resources.
Handwriting & Cursive Program – There is a strong connection between handwriting proficiency and literacy skills. We also believe that helping our upper-grade students learn to read and write in cursive is an important tool for cognitive development.
(AR) provides students with a fun and rewarding way to promote reading at home and in the classroom. It helps students choose books on their reading level, making reading less frustrating and more enjoyable. In addition, AR assessments allow teachers and parents to monitor a student’s reading skills and growth.
After selecting and reading an appropriate book at his/her reading level as determined by the classroom teacher, the student takes a multiple-choice comprehension test based on the book's content. Students are awarded points based on his/her scores, and a cumulative performance record is generated that is accessible to both teachers and parents.
For more specific information about the process please visit Renaissance Place
. To determine if a particular book has an associated AR test please visit the AR BookFinder
is a comprehensive mathematics curriculum for Grades K-5. It offers the flexibility of print, digital, or blended instruction. enVisionmath2.0
provides the focus, coherence, and rigor of the Common Core State Standards. Project-based learning, visual learning strategies, and extensive customization options empower every teacher and student.
Supplemental programs: Morningside uses several supplemental programs to enhance our rigorous research-based curriculums.
- Educational Advisory Foundation – This Teacher to Student Tutoring (TST) program provides early one on one and small group tutoring to improve reading and math skills through individualized instruction in grades K – 2, if needed.
- Study Island – Web-based program which combines rigorous content customized to Georgia’s standards in math, reading, writing, science, and social studies through interactive features and games. Teachers are able to track student performance in real-time to address individual learning gaps.
- Brain Pop & Brain Pop Junior - Websites with short animated learning movies for students in grades K-12 that combined with quizzes, supplemental information and related materials cover science, social studies, English, mathematics, engineering and technology, health, and arts and music topics to enrich the learning experience of students.
- Renaissance Learning’s Accelerated Reading - The Accelerated Reader Program (AR) provides students with a fun and rewarding way to promote reading at home and in the classroom. It helps students choose books on their reading level, making reading less frustrating and more enjoyable. In addition, AR assessments allow teachers and parents to monitor a student’s reading skills and growth.
- STAR Early Literacy, Math, & Reading – These online standardized, computer-adaptive assessments are used to provide teachers with valuable information about student performance and progress.